Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Killing Spree...

I could kick myself. Granted, I'm no green thumb, but I know enough to know about some things.
When Hubby's alarm went off at 6am, the sun wasn't up yet. He jumped in the shower, and I, frankly, didn't move. I didn't have to. The kids are on Spring Break, so they've been sleeping in until about 7 lately. So I went back to sleep. Little did I know...

I woke up again, just before seven, and Hubby was getting himself some cereal in the kitchen. The sun was streaming into my eyes. Then Hubby came in and told me that there was a thick layer of frost on the ground.

FROST??? I jumped out of bed. (Well, being nine months pregnant, I sorta "rolled" out) and shrieked. I looked out the window and he was right--EVERYTHING was covered in frost.

And the sun was already out. Here's where I wanted to kick myself. Isn't it true that when frost covers your new baby plants and the sun hits them, it kills them? I've heard that before. I've also heard something about running and pouring water on your plants to save them, before the sun hits. Am I crazy? All of our tulips that are up, all of our little bushes that are flowering now, they're all dead, aren't they? Like I said, I'm not a Green Thumb type (I suspect when I'm older I might become one) but I know enough to know that Frost Kills.

So, I feel bad. Granted, I wouldn't have wanted to subject my neighbors to the sight of me, in my jammies and a coat and clogs, running around with a pitcher of water and pouring it on my tulips, but I WOULD have done it. We've had this happen before. Some of our newer trees never recovered. And it was on the news last night. Farmers talking about potentially losing 20-30% of their crops to Frost.

Hubby says I need to calm down, if they die, they die. So, I'm hoping that all my little plants we planted in the Fall survived this morning's onslaught. We're supposed to have a Winter Storm hit us tonight too--anywhere from 1-8 inches. I vote for ONE! I guess we'll see what happens!

Am I being ridiculous???

3 comments:

Michelle Miles said...

Well, if you're going to get snow tonight, then they are probably dead anyway. Here, when there's a possible freeze, we cover the plants up but it might be too late for your tulips.

I've never heard of either of those - the sun hitting them thing and then pouring water thing. I would think if they've already been hit with frost, they're gone anyway. Not much can save them.

That probably doesn't help you at all does it? hehe

Lowa said...

Can't help you. I have never heard of that and don't grow anything. Our yard is a total mess and has a lot of potential, but we don't find time to make it nice. We just hire someone to clean it up and trim and weed a few times a year. This year I hope to get things looking decent. I want to move, but hubby says no:( So I guess I may as well make the most of where I am!

Funny your hubby did not like the movie either. MEN!

Lara said...

Well, I just talked to my neighbor on the phone and she planted over 150 daffodils in the Fall, and she's TERRIFIED that they're all killed.

Am I the only one who has heard about this? Gosh I hope I'm totally wrong!