Monday, January 24, 2005

Where's the Joy?

I am suffering from MAJOR blahs. I mean, I am just not wanting to do anything. I'm not sure what happened. I mean, I've got an exciting novel to write, my kids are going to be in school today, my house is finally clean again, I won all my Ebay auctions--dang, I have a LOT to be excited about!

But right now, the LAST thing I want to do in the wide world is get out of these pj's. I don't want to get dressed, I don't want to get the kids off to school, I don't want to send our tax stuff to our CPA, I don't want to go to the dry cleaners and the grocery store and the bank and the video store and tally up all my daughter's Girl Scout cookie sales--and what's WORSE--I have no desire to start writing my novel.

I'm in a rut. I just want to sit here in my jammies and do nothing. My hubby and I did nothing this weekend. We were snowed in on Saturday, so we stayed home and played with the kids, but Sunday, we didn't even go to church, we stayed in bed most of the day and watched about 10 hours of shows I have taped over the last several weeks because he's been travelling and I've been too busy to sit down and watch. (Now we're completely updated on Lost, Alias, The Bachelorette and CSI and Without a Trace, whew!)
After the marathon viewing, we took a nap, then hubby watched the Australian Open while I sat in front of the computer and instead of writing, I surfed. I was completely uninspired. Our dog must think we're the most boring people on earth. At least we have the blahs together. We even let our kids play Nintendo for most of the day (I know, *gasp* we're awful parents!)

This isn't depression. It's the winter BLAHS and they suck. Problem is, hubby had to shake out of it and go to work this morning, and I don't really have an excuse. I'm home, I'm my own boss, and I literally could get my kids off to school and go back to bed, if I really wanted it. There's no motivation to get anything done.

Now that's scary. I have to snap out of it. But what to do? What to do...

2 comments:

Michelle Miles said...

Lara, I am SO with you on the blahs! I've had it since the 1st and I can't seem to get motivated either. Even when I force myself to write, only dribble comes out. I guess that's why I turned my attention back to the novel and started having fun world-building. Hang in there. It's got to go away eventually. Right?

Ann said...

I know the feeling - I dreamed last night I was stuck inside for a month of blizzards, with only my books and videos, and boy did it sound sweet.