Tuesday, August 21, 2007

White VS Wheat Bread...and the Winner Is...

Status: It's STILL raining! Hubby actually made the "Ark" joke last night. Soccer fields are closed, and it looks like we won't be having practices tonight. DARN. I'm all choked up about that one...especially since I would have had to break away early anyway to run the kids to Cubs/Activity Days at the church that is THIRTY MILES AWAY...

*Ahem*

Okay, Hubby and I got ambitious and made six loaves of homemade bread on Sunday--Three honey wheat and three white. (Can I say, I love my Bosch mixer??) Anyway, the kids and I have been eating the bread for toast, sandwiches, etc. and I am surprised at myself. I actually prefer the wheat bread over the white bread. Weird for me. Seriously.

I grew up an exclusively white-bread girl. My parents always bought white, and the few experiences I had with wheat bread were...less than stellar.
My mother, bless her, would make homemade wheat bread and (sorry mom) her loaves were so dense they probably weighed about 20 pounds each and yes, she made us EAT THEM. So I quickly grew to loathe wheat bread. YUCK.

So, when Hubby and I were first married, I bought white bread. He came from a wheat bread family. So we had "His and Hers" bread. Then we had kids, and I realized wheat bread was healthier. And I knew that if I raised them on wheat, they wouldn't care that they weren't having white.

So, yes, we are a wheat bread family--and I am liking the taste over white! White bread to me seems so...plain. That's the only word to describe it. Wheat bread is nutty, flavorful...healthy, everything white bread isn't.

I am surprised at myself! I guess I have finally grown up in the Bread department...?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, honey, but I am really a wheat bread girl! Now we have both all the time and I discovered gluten to raise the bread higher. I have to say, the ducks loved the hockey puck bread I made before. :-)

Mom

Anonymous said...

PS...next you'll discover lentils! :-) :-)

Mom

Lara said...

NEVER. NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER. I'd rather gouge my eyeballs out and eat them first.

:-D

Michael Carr - Veritas Literary said...

Because we run an inn, we have our bread delivered from a great local bakery. When comparing bad wheat to bad white, sure, I'll take white. But if you have good wheat bread? Mmmm....