Friday, June 02, 2006

Friday, Part II

...I dreamed about Mary Newman again last night. It's like she wants me to do this for her--to put her in my story and bring her out of the shadows and into the light. She's been a footnote for far too long. It's entirely wrong--and I can do something about it.

I was researching the St. Budeaux parish church in Saltash, Cornwall. It is still standing, and she is buried there. I wonder if her grave is marked? I would imagine it is, but I've never seen it. I wish I could hop on a plane and do some research! It's like hunting for a treasure: any information on Mary is precious.
I have been corresponding with Kevin and Liz, two caretakers of the Mary Newman Cottage in Saltash, and they are both on a quest for information as well. Liz travels the world, and she has lots of opportunities to peek through private libraries and do research.

I, for now, am tied to home. But one day, I'm going on a treasure hunt, and I am looking forward to it! My goal is for Mary Newman Drake to one day not be a "footnote" anymore!

2 comments:

Lara said...

That is a great idea--I'm going to do it!

Anonymous said...

Hi
Just read this on your blog and hope I can help.The whereabouts of Mary Newman's grave are unknown in St Budeaux church(which in incidently in Plymouth,Devon not Saltash, Cornwall).Also,Mary Newman never actualy lived at the dwelling known as 'Mary Newman's Cottage' and the story is a myth started by an 18th Century novelist.
Best wishes,
Derek Tait.
www.derektait.co.uk