Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Why I'm Glad Summer Is Almost Over

So, I was gabbing with a mom the other day when I dropped Thing Two off to play at the kid's house, and we were talking about how fast Summer had gone. I was like "Man, I can't wait for school to start, now. My kids whine about being bored, the house is in a constant state of chaos, they argue over the Wii, the basketball hoop, etc. etc. I need some peace and quiet!"

She, to my surprise, shook her head. "Oh, I don't feel that way at all. I've enjoyed every minute with my children. They are at such FUN ages (10 and 12) and we enjoy spending all our time together, and I am SAD school is starting up!

My first reaction was guilt. I'm an awful mother. Awful because I want some quiet, and I want it just to be the baby and me during the day so I can work all the bad habits out of him his brothers taught him (such as the ability to jump on a person and beat them senseless with a plastic sword) over the summer.

Then I was OVER IT. My next reaction?

What planet are YOU from, lady???

I'm sure there are moms out there who genuinely cherish their kids. I'm one of them, too. To a point. But at the end of the day, when I've mediated 473 arguments and told my children "not to tattletale" 2947 times and yelled at them 95736 times to clean up their messes and FLUSH THE DARN TOILET, and broken up 36 out-and-out fights...believe me, I'm not "cherishing" them so much.

I'm ready for them to be in school for 8 hours a day. Because then I will miss them. And it makes me love them even more. How's THAT for rationalizing???

Bring on the hate mail.

6 comments:

Michelle Miles said...

You are SO normal. I only have one and I was rejoicing. LOL

Anonymous said...

Your a terrible mom! JK I have five and two of them aren't in school. I wish they were. Just a little bit.

Aimee said...

My advice at a wedding shower: Don't be afraid of time apart from your husband. A little distance is a good thing, and reunions can be great.

The same applies to children.

The Bean Cassarole said...

All the moms I know with school aged children are in the same boat as you pretty much. I get the "I'm so ready to have my day back" vibe.

It's not selfish, it's just having a little peace of mind knowing that your children are off getting an education, and being appreciative of the fact that those wonderful teachers are giving you the opportunity to take a time out for a couple hours.

You get your children for life, no matter what, so it's justified. The teachers only get them for 12 years! That's a lot of responsibility to teach them life skills in that small amount of time compared to what you have. Why do you think they get 3 months off? ;-)

8 hours, shmate hours. Don't moms/dads deserve a wee little breather?

Anonymous said...

You shouldn't feel guilty at all. Children (especially in the plural) can wear you out. You're human, for wanting a break. Not bad.

Janey

Lowa said...

Girl, you DO NOT want me to write what I truly feel:) I will spare you and your friends and not write the book that I could on this topic.

You probably know what I would day anyway:) LOL