Monday, February 19, 2007

The Big Dilemma...

Status: It's supposed to get ABOVE freezing today! I'm rejoicing!
Kids are off school today, so we'll probably see "Bridge to Terabithia."

Okay, seriously, this has become a problem. Since Thing Four (who will be arriving in a couple of months) was an...*ahem*...bit of a surprise...well...we can't seem to agree on a name for him at all.

And I mean NOT AT ALL.

Every name I have "sort of liked" Hubby has either flat-out hated or made fun of. Every name he likes, I have either flat-out hated or made fun of. It's funny, how people you know who have certain names make you NOT want to name your child that name, because they're not your favorite people. That has seemed to happen a lot to us lately. For example:

Hubby: I like "So and so."

Me: Egads, no!"

Hubby: Why not? "So and so" is a good name!"

Me: I knew a so-and-so growing up and he was a total sh*t--how about "such and such?"

Hubby: Yeah, sure. He'll be teased the rest of his life with a name like that. "Such and such the Such and Such" (this part is sung)

Me: I see your point.

You SEE? We have this problem a lot. And Hubby seems to have this uncanny ability to think of either a really bad word or a really bad rhyme that completely negates any name I like. (Although I will begrudgingly admit he's been spot-on on a few of them!)

SO, we got this huge (as in THICK) book of baby names, and literally have gone through it three times, and we have about FOUR names out of the entire book that we like. We've stopped looking at the "most popular" baby name lists, because they have common names in them. Heck, we could go for "Jacob" or "Michael" but EVERY BOY has those names!

I even Googled "Really Cool Baby Boy Names" but I'll be danged if I'm going to name him "Cash" or "Stryker."

So, we have FINALLY narrowed it down to two names we feel we can agree on. We're lukewarm over both of them, but I am happy to report they are NOT currently common names, and they were BOTH on the "really cool" list. So we'll let the little tyke come out, we'll look at him, and decide which name he'll be.

I am envious of my sister-in-law. She called me up the other night, all excited, saying that they'd had their ultrasound (she's two months behind me) and they were having a boy, and his name was going to be X. How nice that they agreed so quickly on a name!

Thing Two thinks we should name the baby Chauncey. I suspect he's been playing a little too much "Luigi's Mansion" as of late...

1 comment:

Michelle Miles said...

Picking a name is one of the hardest things EVER. It's a good thing I had a boy - because we couldn't decide on a girl's name. AT ALL!