Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Pregnancy Cravings = EVIL

Pregnancy Cravings so far:

1) Cool Ranch Doritos with Kraft Creamy Ranch Dip *
2) Aplets & Cotlets
3) Egg nog (and you can’t get it anywhere yet, dammit!)
4) Anything Cheese

*Okay, what is UP with the lack of Kraft Dips in Wisconsin? Everything is “Dean’s” dip here. And Deans Ranch dip is just gross. It's too "ranchy."
You can’t find Kraft anywhere, at any store. I have tried Pic N Save, Target, Walmart, Jewel Osco, Walgreens, Sentry (I won’t go inside Piggly Wiggly, which means they probably have it there) and little grocers, and I can’t find it. Amazon ships it. If I get desperate enough, I’ll probably go that route. And yes, I’m completely nuts.
Speaking of nuts, what's up with craving Aplets and Cotlets? I can't have walnuts. It's just that gooey apple confection with powdered sugar. I don't stand a chance. Luckily they're more of a "Holiday" candy so you can't find them anywhere either. I think.

And exactly how many of the other cravings have I given in to? Maybe the “Cheese” one. That’s it. Because A) I don’t want to gain 50 pounds with this child, and B) I know The Nausea will kick in as soon as I indulge.

Nausea. Ugh. I have been creeping around, eating apples and crackers and sipping Sprite. I forced myself to eat some chicken last night. Let’s just say Bad Idea. Meat in any form right now is EVIL. It cannot be tolerated.

And strangely enough, I didn’t have any nausea with my other three kids. What could it mean? Who knows. Maybe it’s because last time I was pregnant I was in my 20’s, and now, I’m in my 30’s. Hormones change everything.

But of course, once all the Christmas stuff comes to the stores, I’ll have access to Egg nog, Aplets & Cotlets, and various other Christmas things I crave (Venti Peppermint Hot Cocoa at Starbucks, anyone?) and I will be SO in trouble.

The Holidays are the BEST. (Worst for diets!) For Fall you make pumpkin cakes and cookies and breads, and you bake all sorts of stuff. Thanksgiving needs no explanation. And Christmas…all the cookies and candy and nut breads and chocolate…it’s like KILLER to the waistline. Being pregnant during the holidays is even tougher because of cravings.

I am determined to NOT consume 456723 mini Milky Way bars this Halloween. No third helpings of stuffing on Thanksgiving. And CERTAINLY I will be giving out gift cards to people, instead of my traditional plates of cookies, chocolate and candy creations. Won’t I???

I am SO in Trouble…

Holiday treats are EVIL! But they are soo much fun…

4 comments:

Michelle Miles said...

When I was pregnant with mine, I couldn't eat meat either. It grossed me out. Chicken, beef, pork. All of it. Hopefully by your second trimester, the sickness will abate somewhat. :)

Lowa said...

Oh yeah, especially hamburger. Trying to make spaghettie sauce or lasagna or anything?? No chance. It took me months after giving birth to be able to even think of trying beef again. I still don't eat much of it.

A friend of mine has not eaten beef since her first pregnancy 16 years ago! She is too scared to try it and still can't stomach the smell of it cooking!

Hope you feel better. I gained 45 lbs with most of my pregnancies. Weight came off very quickly. But, like you said, we were in our 20's then. Makes a HUGE difference. You are wise to be careful.

Egg nog will be here before you know it!

Lowa said...

wow, didn't mean for the "e" to happen in spaghetti! LOL

Unknown said...

If you're feeling domestic:

Eggnog

1 3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 qts 2% milk
6 eggs, lightly beaten
3 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp rum extract
4 c. fat-free half-and-half
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg

In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt. Gradually whisk in milk and eggs until smooth. Cook and stir over low heat unter thermometer reads 160 degrees, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in extracts. Cover and refrigerate until will chilled, about 2 hours. Just before serving, strain the eggnog mixture, and stir in the cream and nutmeg. 18 serving.

It's soooo good.