Friday, October 13, 2006

Paraskevidekatriaphobia, Anyone?

Paraskevidekatriaphobia, or "fear of Friday the 13th" was definitely in force today!

I think it's all a bunch of Hooey, personally. For instance, I was POS training with another lady at work today, and I was whipping through the course (wearing headphones at the register) and the lady with me kept getting stuck, her computer kept freezing, or she'd punch the wrong button and send everything into a frenzy, and what did she blame?

One guess.

Friday the 13th had doomed her. She was absolutely positive. (I didn't have the heart to tell her that in her manic nervousness she was screwing it up all herself.) I had a customer claim "Friday the 13th" had gotten her today too. I had another customer tell me she usually just stayed indoors on a Friday the 13th. Why tempt fate?

I say, what's the big deal? But I've had nothing but good luck on Friday the 13th. Although I did get to the point where I decided if I heard another "Friday the 13th complaint" from someone I'd break my scanner over their head and tell them they REALLY now had something to complain about. (Kidding, but you get to that point sometimes!)

I'm not a superstitious person, per se. Yes, when I spill salt, I throw it over my left shoulder. Don't ask me why. And when I complain I've had such good fortune lately, I always knock on wood. But that's about it. I don't do the really wonky stuff some people do. Friday the 13th is definitely included.

Today has been a great day! I had a good day at work. And I don't have Morning Sickness today. And I've gotten various forms of good news. So to those Paraskevidekatriaphobics, I would say, PHOOEY! Try again!

It's all about chance anyway, isn't it?

1 comment:

Ann said...

Well, it may be coincidence, but... Yesterday I worked at the 1812 reinactment all morning, lost my car (not really lost - just couldn't remember which of the eight large fields full of cars I had parked it in) and had to get carted around on a little mower by one of the volunteers until I found it.
Spaceheadedness or the date? Who can tell? - lol.