Tuesday, March 03, 2009

That's It--I've HAD IT.

So, I have a dilemma. I find that I yell at my kids a lot.

Not in ANGER, mind you, I'm only angry at them about 40% of the time I yell. Mostly I yell, because my kids are in a part of the house where they CAN'T HEAR ME.

We have a pretty good sized house. When a meal is ready, and I'm in the kitchen, I have to yell down the basement stairs for them to come up, or yell up the stairs for them to come down. In the mornings, I plant myself at the foot of the stairs and yell, asking them if they've brushed their teeth, gotten dressed, etc. Only because I'm TIRED of running up and down two flights of stairs just to talk to them. Or DOWN the stairs to talk to them. Sure, some mornings I just do it because I don't want to yell, but then I find I'm running up and down the stairs several times to remind them of things. UGH.

They yell, too. They can't seem to get it through their head that if they need my attention, COMING TO FIND ME as opposed to yelling is the way to go. Oh, no, they have to stand where they are, and yell for me. Which irks me to no end.

So, I've had it. I'm tired of yelling, and running up and down stairs. Because when they act like they can't hear me, it makes me mad, and then I REALLY start to yell--only it's angry yelling. And I can't stand that. And I'm tired of them coming to me and asking "didn't you hear me yelling for you??" THE YELLING MUST STOP. For all our sakes.

I'm going to go look at a wireless intercom system. I have to. For my sanity, and my blood pressure. I've found a few good ones online, and I've found some outrageously expensive ones. I probably need about four units. One for the foyer upstairs where the kids rooms branch off--one for the basement, one for the kitchen, and one for the BOYS' room because frankly, they dink around a lot in their room and pretend they can't hear me.

Wish me luck.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my, Lara, ...how do you spell de javu?

Mom

Michelle Miles said...

I'm a yeller, too. I don't have a big house, I just have a pokey kid.

Anonymous said...

The intercom sounds like a good idea.

Of course they're going to yell if they see/hear you do it.

Selective hearing -- that's all you need! Good luck!

The Bean Cassarole said...

Oh heck, one beep for you, two for Chris and three, for me. What craziness we created with those!

I remember thinking we were so cool back then because we needed an intercom system.

Funny how things go full circle eh?

Lowa said...

I found it so funny when you said that you don't want them yelling for you, you want them to come to you. Because that is exactly what YOU are doing! LOL Yelling at them instead of going to them. Like you said, you do seek them out a lot of the time. But most of the time you just stand and yell up or down the stairs. They are just following your example! teehee

I know what you mean though. I get tired of going to find the kids and talk to them. I often send a sib to locate them and send a message, but the sibs get tired of being messengers.

I use a baby monitor. Works nicely. Have one down in the Rec Room and one in the kitchen. Our house is pretty big, I guess (2700sqft) but it sounds like your's is bigger. So an intercom sounds very helpful!

It REALLY cut down on the yelling. At least the NON-anger yelling:) There is still anger yelling going on. I never knew teenagers could get so worked up!?!?