Friday, October 02, 2009

Packrat-itis.

Okay. Holy Moses, enough is enough!!!

I remember helping my parents move a few years back, and I was astounded at the amount of...stuff they had accumulated. Well, junk, too. Let's say my parents are the "sentimental" type.

The less-kind term: PACKRATS.

And I, of course, have learned their ways. I have tubs of stuff that I should just toss, but it all has memories attached. I know, I've lamented this on the blog many times before, but now, my KIDS are becoming the same way!

I went through their rooms yesterday, because inevitably, not all their clothes make it into the hampers, and I was, yes, ASTOUNDED at all the stuff they had accumulated!!! (Does that sentence sound familiar?) I think Thing Two has every art project he ever did from grades 2-5 stuffed into his desk and closet. Thing One has scrapbooking stuff EVERYWHERE. Bits of this and that. It's CRAZY!!! Enough to make me want to tear my hair out and sit in a corner with my arms around my knees and start rocking.

MY CHILDREN ARE PACKRATS.

I wonder if there's a "Packrats Anonymous" for those unfortunate souls who can't throw anything away?

"Hello, my name is Lara, and it's been twenty three years since I've thrown away a birthday card..."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Hello, my name is mom and it has been 38 years, 10 months and 1 day since I have thrown away a card from my Honey and my children."

Oh Lara...I'm so sorry I did this to you all!

We're doomed.

Mom

Michelle Miles said...

I have the hardest time tossing cards. Why is that?? Especially the sweet ones.

I think being a packrat is a human nature. :D

The Bean Cassarole said...

Maybe I may have not gotten so much of the curse because I may have not thrown away cards, but I only have 2 out of 5 boxes left from the attic stuff.

My husband however has gotten that curse from his own family.

We're doomed.