Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Quirks of my House

Mmmm, right now my house smells like pancakes and toast. That is the best smell!

Okay, disturbing discovery...my house creaks. And it cracks. And sometimes, the cracks are loud like a gunshot.

That's what I get for having a "floating" house. Apparently it's a soil thing here in Colorado--the soil shifts a lot so people "float" their houses. (Don't ask me how its done, but I will tell you that underneath my basement floor is a three foot crawlspace that runs underneath the entire house.) I'm not sure what is supporting it, but my house moves. Especially when its windy. Our formal living room is open all the way to the top (which I am currently lamenting because Thing Two got a hold of one of my Anniversary day mylar balloons and lo and behold, it's stuck about 40 feet up on the ceiling, refusing to move) and every once in a while we hear this loud CRACK! coming from the walls or ceiling.

Now the house itself is nearly ten years old, so you think it would have settled by now. But I have to remind myself that there is no foundation...it floats. So it never really will "settle." So when I hear cracks and creaks (that are spectacularly good at keeping me awake at night when Hubby is traveling and I'm alone) its enough to drive me crazy. Thank heaven it only does this when it's REALLY windy outside. Weird.

Here's that lovely balloon. Any suggestions for getting it down?

I almost sat down and started typing yesterday. Almost. Hubby surprised me for lunch at home (he had just come from the airport and had to go straight to work) and since I had gotten the house clean, I didn't know what to do with myself for the next few hours until I had to pick up the kids. Thing Three went outside to play with bubbles, and my office overlooks the entire back yard, so I kept one eye open for him and sat in front of the computer. But I didn't know where to start! I'm rusty. I haven't written a word in ages. Except for this blog. But does that count?

Hmmm...maybe I'll make some progress today. Off to the races!

4 comments:

Lowa said...

Sheeshkies! That would certainly be scary with the house making those noises. My house creaks too of course, but nothing like that! My kids would freak!

Unless you have an amazingly tall ladder, I am thinking that balloon will be up there another few weeks at least, until it slowly drifts down.

Then when you have a birthday party for your kids, another one will get loose and get up there too!

Lara said...

That's why I will have my son's birthday party at a party place, and NOT my house...

;-)

Lowa said...

LOL

Yes, I do that sometimes too. My 6 year old (soon to be 7!?!? *sniff*) wants his here this time around, though. He doesn't like crowds and busy noisy places. Little fart. Can't he think of ME and MY comfort!?!? teehee

Michelle Miles said...

That sounds like a pier and beam foundation you have. We have them in Texas because of the unstable soil situation here. Houses tend to "shift". As far as the balloon goes, got a REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY tall ladder? ;)