Sunday, February 12, 2006

Labels

I still find it amazing how three children from the same two parents can turn out so radically different from each other. Those of you with multiple children see where I’m coming from.

My three are, well…interesting. I have Thing One, who is eight, whom I like to call the “Responsible Whiner.” (No, that is not an oxymoron, that is just the way she is). She’s very responsible, and I can count on her for anything, and she’s always very calm and collected when situations go awry. But she whines like a mule. About everything.

Thing Two (who is six): I have labeled the Spastic Creative. He’s my “cerebral one” who prefers books and Legos and computer games to playing outside, when given the chance. And he’s highly intelligent and creative. But before he was creative, he was just Spastic. He’s one of those boys who has an overabundance of energy and one moment we’ll be at the market and he’ll be walking calmly, the next moment he’ll be doing a crazy jiggling/jumping thing I call his “Lord of the Dance” parody in the middle of the aisle, while making a repetitive noise and I have to hold myself back from running and doing a full-body tackle on him to stop him from behaving that way in public. Bless him...

Thing Three is easy: He’s the Hammy Actorboy. He’s always performing, always mugging, always thinking he’s “all that” and frankly, I’m scared to death of how that attitude will go over in High School. He’s my bulldozer, my star soccer player, and the Casanova of his preschool class. But for now, he’s five, he’s cute, and whatever.

Hubby and I laugh at our kids sometimes, Thing Three is a clone of him, Thing Two is a clone of me (sorry, Thing Two) and Thing One is a perfect hybrid of us both. And they keep me hopping, that’s for sure!

On the Writing front: I think I’m nearly finished with my research. I haven’t gotten as much written on my WIP as I normally would like, because I write a couple of sentences and realize that I have to THOROUGHLY research a certain thing, or the whole story would have to be changed if I was wrong. Such is the stigma of writing Historical fiction. You gotta get it right. No Exceptions.

But I have to admit, research is fun!! Especially when it’s about lost cities in the Yucatan…

2 comments:

Ann said...

What a funny description! Cracked me up! My nieces are the same - K is the spit and image of her dad, E is her mom all over again, and they are total opposites. Wild how two kids in one family can be like that!

Lowa said...

I have been meaning to talk about my kids' similarities and differences on my blog. Mine won't be as concise as your's:) Mine will go on...and on...and on...

They sound DARLING!