Monday, January 10, 2011

SNOW DAY!

Having moved recently from Wisconsin, I have to say I find it a little comical that a "few inches of snowfall" is enough to close the schools, here in North Carolina. We used to live in Pewaukee, which is just outside of Milwaukee, and let me tell you, can you say WELL-OILED MACHINE when it came to snow? We lived in a subdivision with only about 30 houses in it (the lots were one acre) that was off a main road but kind of isolated, and I remember by 4am the snowplows had already come through and plowed and salted the roads. Which was nice, because when we finally got around to snowblowing the driveway, we didn't have to worry about them coming later and "boxing us in" again.

Here, there aren't any trucks. At least, I don't believe so. So, be it snow or icy rain, you just STAY HOME. Back in good ol' WI, it had to be either A) SIX feet of snowfall, or B) Minus Forty degrees, for them to cancel school.

I'm a mean mom. I made my kids go to bed at 9pm last night, because as of then, the schools were still "open." Oh well. I'll let them sleep in this morning. And I'll make them waffles. They'll forgive me. ;-)

Yesterday was pretty harrowing, because Hubby was scheduled to fly out Tuesday morning to New York, and his boss texted him yesterday afternoon, recommending he try and get out last night, instead. Hubby called the airline, and there were still a few seats available for the direct flights at 8 and 9pm. Hubby texted his boss back, and said he could do it. Then he called the airline back, and in the 10 minutes it had taken him to get back with his boss, everything had sold out, and the ONLY available flight out of Charlotte was a non-direct, leaving at 6:55. Which gave us exactly ONE HOUR AND SIX MINUTES to get him packed up for the entire week and off to the airport!

Now, I'm completely CERTAIN, that when I woke up Saturday morning and despite feeling like crap (I've been dealing with a nasty flu-like virus) I ventured out to pick up all his dry cleaning, it was inspired. Because luckily he had all his suits  and dress shirts ready to go--so he could just throw them all (well, ok, pack them neatly) into his garment suitcase and GO. We got him out the door with 15 minutes to spare. It was pretty miraculous, actually.

I am now Hubby-less until the weekend, but since I'm still feeling sicker than a dog, it's not like I want him to see me like this anyway.

On the agenda for today? A whole lot of nothing. Except I plan on getting some writing in on my new story idea.

Stay warm, everyone!

5 comments:

Devon Ellington said...

If you were sick, he should have picked up his own dry cleaning.

Enjoy the snow day, and I hope you feel better soon!

Lara said...

LOL, Devon, somehow I knew you'd say that! I guess I neglected to mention HE'S sick, too. We both are.

Anonymous said...

Don't ya just love the "snow panic" we have down here.

I485 and I85 was a friggin' disaster. Stay warm.

Lara said...

Brenda!! Be careful!!! I hope you're home, now!!

Michelle Miles said...

Hope you both feel better soon!