Tuesday, September 18, 2007

...And it's Warm Again...

Yes, here is the lovely spot in our grass where I accidentally tipped the fertilizer spreader over. Heh heh. Thought I could scoop it up real fast and "hide" the spill. Whoops. At least it's our BACK yard and not the front...

So it's supposed to be 85 today. A major reversal from the 40 degrees it was a couple of days ago.
All I can say to Mother Nature is STOP IT YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE ALL MY KIDS SICK AND THEY WON'T GET SICK AT ONCE THEY'LL GET SICK ONE AT A TIME UNTIL BY THE TIME THE LAST ONE IS SICK THE GERMS WILL HAVE MUTATED AND THEY'LL GET SICK ALL OVER AGAIN!!!

*ahem* Since this seems to always be the pattern with cold/hot weather and my kids, you'll have to forgive the outburst.

Alright, so here's my dilemma. Well, not really a dilemma, but my predicament: We have an eighth grader at our bus stop with an extremely foul mouth. He says every word in the book (Thing Two tentatively told me in shushed tones yesterday that he even said "The F Word" on the bus") and he doesn't care if the little kids hear him.
I would normally march myself right over and have a talk with his mother about his bad habits, but the last thing I need is some crazy 8th grade kid mad at me. He and his buddies will terrorize my kids, my house, etc. So I can't make waves.

SO, I have decided until he cleans up his act, my kids will wait by our house until the bus is in sight, and then they will go catch it at the stop. Luckily it stops down the road in plain sight--so they'll have plenty of time to go down and catch it. It's too bad the kid's parents clearly don't care/are unaware of his language--and I don't need my kids learning those words before they have to.

4 comments:

Michelle Miles said...

Hm. Maybe you could talk to the bus driver about his foul language. If he's saying those kinds of words ON the bus, then you might have a shot. Just a thought. :)

Anonymous said...

Your kids have obviously heard the language. Why not sit down and talk to them about WHY it's so unacceptable?

My dad did that when I was about six or seven because there was someone in our neighborhood who would scream expletives all the time. He explained why he thought it was inappropriate; he also said that, because there are so many descriptive words in the English language, using an expletive instead of what you really mean is simply lazy.

I didn't start talking sailor-style until I was in my twenties, the only girl working rock and roll with the guys, where it became a tool of self-defense.

Now, of course, I use it too often, although this morning's use in the blog was deliberate!

Anonymous said...

You're right about not addressing the situation with the ole' potty mouth's parents. They probably talk the same way and you will have an angry posse terrorizing your kids and possibly your home. I like Devon's advice.

Lara said...

Thanks, guys--I have sat them down and explained why those words are not good and how they should never say them. Thing two is hilarious--whenever someone curses, he doesn't care WHO it is he'll point to them and say (a little TOO loudly):

"Bad language! Bad language!!"