Friday, July 15, 2005

Thing One is a Writer!

Quote of the Day: "There's so much comedy on television. Does that cause comedy in the streets?"-- Dick Cavett (mocking the TV-violence debate)

I think my dog is jealous of my new fish. (Either that or he thinks he'll make a tasy morsel.) I've started putting Paulie's bowl up higher, because Hagan is definitely too interested in the little bugger.
My dog is strange. He's like a goat: he'll eat ANYTHING. (Well, not anything. For instance, he won't eat the plastic twisty-ties that come off the bread packaging, and he won't eat glitter. Otherwise, he's pretty much open).
I fished a hair scrunchie out of his jaws just this morning, and don't even get me started on all the paper I've rescued from him. Crazy dog. YOU HAVE A BOWL FULL OF FOOD BY THE LAUNDRY ROOM DOOR! WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM?

And now, he's eyeing my fishy. Bad dog. Hopefully setting Paulie up high will cure the problem.

On the Writing front, I was so proud of Thing One yesterday. She takes after me. She loves to write stories. Give her a pen and a composition notebook and she's happy as a clam for hours at a time, making up stories and illustrating them. I almost teared up the other day when she asked me if she needed more dialogue in a passage, and THEN asked me if she should use ellipses at the end for supsense...*sigh* (Lara wipes a *happy* tear from her eye) My little Thing One is a writer!

Of course, at the tender age of 7, she has a ways to go. I was about her age when I realized that Writing was my calling. To me it was the coolest thing in the world, to be able to create my own worlds and characters and breathe life into anything I wanted to, through storytelling. I loved to tell stories. I'm sure I bored my high school friends (who bless them, pretended to act interested) when I'd read them excerpts of my novels-in-progress, and ask for feedback. And I NEVER forgave the boy who mocked all the names I'd made up for my medieval novel. "Sappy" my eye! I never went out with him. I made him sorry. (Or at least I'd like to think so!)

I was hit by a major lightning bolt last night. My agent is always telling me that my main characters should have a "purpose." They should want to "accomplish something" and it's up to me to decided what that is. Well, it came to me last night in a flash, and it involves a real character from history, but so little is known about her I think I could get away with putting her in my work of fiction. VERY exciting. I love having poetic license!

Well, have to run, Hagan is going to the groomers, and then we have Tennis lessons and "A Day at Hogwarts." Busy busy busy! I guess I'll have to work on my "stellar" idea later.

2 comments:

Michelle Miles said...

At least get that idea sketched out so it doesn't fly away. ;) I was on fire last night, too! And congrats on having a little writer. hehe

Ann said...

Lara,
Sometime when you feel comfortable doing it, it would be interesting to hear more about which "real" character you're using - I've done that in my book myself. I love historical stories that incorporate real characters. Good luck!
Ann