Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Oh How Annoying!

QUOTE OF THE DAY: A graduation ceremony is an event where the commencement speaker tells thousands of students dressed in identical caps and gowns that 'individuality' is the key to success.

I’m feeling snarky today. Apparently I’m the new “ward babysitter” at church. I had two ladies (whom I barely know) call me up yesterday and ask me to watch their kids. I politely declined, telling them I was sick and possibly contagious (which is not a lie) but one of them was pushy and so today I am watching her three young children for her. Thank goodness it’s only for an hour. I mean really, I NEVER did this to people I barely knew. NEVER. (Okay shut up Lara just SHUT UP!)
I was annoyed over it for a while but it’s my own fault that I can’t say a firmer “NO!” Oh well. Hence the snarky mood.

In fact, my entire day was somewhat annoying yesterday. I hate being sick, the kind of sick where your head feels like it weighs ten pounds more than normal. And you can’t breathe, so you have to suck air through your mouth and your lips dry out and you wheeze and you can’t go outside because you might accidentally eat bugs so you stay inside and drink herbal tea and pout because you’re so miserable. THAT was me yesterday.
I was supposed to drive 45 minutes to a dairy farm for Thing Three’s field trip, but I stayed home. I just didn’t feel up to it. I feel bad, because he really “wanted to see the cows” but he sees cows every time I drive to the SuperWalmart, and they’re not that big of a deal. (Or so I’m trying to rationalize, because to a kid of four, they ARE a big deal.)

Then the batteries in my wireless mouse went out and I didn't have any in the house so I had to use the POINTER while working on my novel and DO YOU KNOW HOW ANNOYING IT IS TO HIGHLIGHT AND CUT AND PASTE WITH A @#$&**!! POINTER?????

Then Thing One came home from school visibly upset because some girls at school weren’t being “nice” to her. We had a talk and I tried my best to cheer her up (forcing the unpleasant memories of my own first-grade rejections out of my mind). Girls that age can be so mean.

Thing One seemed fine after that, but then I got a call from the mom of one of her friends, apparently her daughter has often been the victim of this particular group of girls as well. She wasn't holding back. When I told her to "remember how we were at that age," she said: "Yes, we were little Bitches!!!" Apparently she's not one to use euphemisms.

She told me that because of the mean girls, her daughter hates going to school and cries at the bus stop some days, begging to not go to school. I felt so bad for her daughter. We both agreed it boiled down to ONE particularly mean ring-leader girl, and this lady was going to call her teacher and explain the situation. I hope they split all those mean girls up into different second grade classes next year, which might defuse the situation.

I mean, you always want your children to be well-liked and to get on in school well, and when it seems less-than-ideal, your heart breaks for them. (I myself was a right know-it-all in gradeschool, and I had very few friends.) I remember how painful it was to be ostracized, and I would eat dirt before I saw my children experiencing the same pain, even if it does help “build their character” and mold them into stronger beings.

Well, I have to run, I have to go babyproof the playroom. URGH.

2 comments:

Michelle Miles said...

I despise those touchpad things. One of the reasons why I have a wireless mouse too.

And it breaks my heart to hear about the Mean Girls. I remember them well, too. I never had many friends either because I wasn't "cool".

Cassaundra said...

Oh...you know what I love about working in a bridal store in my home town? I can help girls I knew in school that were utter turds to me with thier wedding gowns. Not put them in ones that were unflattering, but saying "yes, this style looks wonderful on you, but THIS dress would look devine!" and normally "this dress" would be between $200-$350 more than the original one, and of course they fall in love with it and have to buy it! *cackle*

Of course then there are those times when a "mean girl" from my past comes in and is like "do I know you from somewhere"(innocent look)" and I'm like "I'm sorry, you don't look at all familiar to me, but I've heard that I have a twin! (innocent grin)".

*sigh* When I make it big, it's going to be interesting to see who will suck up to me. lol...it could be fun! (evil chuckle)