Monday, June 27, 2005

What happened to PB&J??

Quote of the Day: If high heels were so wonderful, men would still be wearing them.--Sue Grafton

I am getting some unusual lunch requests lately. I let Each of the Things 1,2 and 3 invite ONE friend over for lunch a week (got smart from last year when we were having the entire neighborhood kid population over for lunch two or three times a week) and I always ask them "what would you like?"
Now by this I mean: How do you like your Peanut Butter and Jelly? but kids lately have been asking for some weird things. Just last week I served Jam and Cream Cheese sandwiches, Peanut butter and bananas, and my personal favorite: Turkey and Doritos on Wheat.

What happened to the NORMAL sandwiches?

Now by normal, I am thinking PB&J, Tuna salad, Grilled Cheese, etc. But these kids lately are weirding me out. I drew the line at Peanut Butter and Pickles for one child. That is just wrong, plain and simple. Sort of like the people who eat apples and cheese together. WRONG.

I guess I'm not really one to talk, my dad made us eat Peanut Butter and Mayonnaise sandwiches when we were young. (No, that is not a typo.) Thanks to Dad. Nothing fills us up like a bunch of FAT, pressed between two slices of white bread. EW. I have nightmares about those sandwiches. Could we claim Child Abuse over those? (KIDDING!)

Had a good weekend. Didn't write a word, but I did double workouts on Saturday (jogged three miles and then did weights) and I am DETERMINED to get in shape. No more Pilsbury Dough Girl for me. (Guess I'd better stop buying the stuff!)

We have been getting some much-needed rain as of late, and the lawns are finally turning green again. I still marvel over Super-Green Lawn Guy behind our house though. I am not sure how he does it.
There is this one house a block over, and I think people come in their cars from far and near to goggle at this guy's lawn, because it's such an oddity. Especially since all the lawns in our neighborhood have been suffering lately. The lawn is GREEN. And I don't mean just the shade, but it's THICK and LUXURIOUS and the perfect shade, and it's evenly green and well...just about the "perfectest" lawn I've ever seen.
What's weird about that is that they don't have a sprinkler system, so technically it should be patchy, at best, since all the lawns on that block are either patchy from random sprinkling or dead altogether. I never see them water (I walk my dog daily past their house) and I never see them mowing the lawn or taking care of it. It's just...THERE. Like some mystical magical lawn that will never die, or something like that. It's all a mystery.
My daughter suggested that the lawn is haunted, or a ghost lawn. (you go, writer spawn!) But I guess it will just have to be "up there" with Nessie, and The Pyramids, and Stonehenge.

I think this week I'm going to SIT myself down and up the word count on my novels. It's about darn tootin' time. I've put it off an entire week. Time to WRITE!!

1 comment:

Michelle Miles said...

You are so good to work out. I have a membership that I'VE NEVER USED. Bah.

RE: Super-Green Lawn Guy. This reminds me of a neighbor we had at our old house. She was ANAL about her lawn and would spend EVERY night and EVERY weekend working on it. Pruning, mowing, weeding, fertiziling, watering... whatever. It was definitely SUPER GREEN while ours was full of weeds and brown.