Wednesday, June 22, 2005

A Stark Reminder...

Harry Potter Book Excerpt of the Day: "We tried to shut him in a pyramid, but Mum spotted us."–George Weasley

Power went out this morning, around 8:30. I didn't panic at first, but two hours later, when it was still off--well, I began to be a tad concerned.

It's supposed to be 90 degrees today. I have a freezer stuffed to the gills in the garage with all our grilling meat (I was ticking off in my head who we might need to invite (a.k.a the whole neighborhood) for a grill-over if it all thawed--YIKES)--not to mention the inconveniences of having digital phone/cable/hi speed internet all in one, which means I was in the Regency Era for a couple of hours. All I had was running water, and that was about it.

Luckily, my kids love to read, so they hunkered down in the basement guestroom where its cool, and Thing One entertained her brothers with stories for a while.

Me? I wandered aimlessly about the house, completely lost. No computer. No phone. Couldn't wash anything--no power. Couldn't play outside--too darn hot. So, we did what any other family would do in a power-outage crisis--I piled the kids in the car and we headed off to Target.

We had to go anyway, Thing One has a birthday party to go to today, and we needed a present. And we needed paper towels. What did we come home with? Let me see:

-One skirt, (for me)
-Two shirts and a pair of pants (for Thing One)
-1 birthday present,
-1 Tennis Racket (for Thing Two),
-one pack of Shuttlecocks,
-one jump rope
-one picnic basket/tote thingy complete with plastic dishes in RED
-one paddle ball set (for Thing Three),
-three pairs of flip-flops
-2 boxes of Junior Mints.

SHEESH.

I forgot the @#%&**!! Paper Towels.

So now that the power is on, and I'm sitting in my comfy air-conditioned office, I need to count my blessings--because I think I would shrivel up and die without all the modern comforts I enjoy. I really am quite spoiled. Today was a stark reminder that I have a LOT to be thankful for.
Every single day.


1 comment:

Carolyn Burns Bass said...

Thank the engineering gurus for air conditioning! Money can't buy everything, but it sure can cool you off in the summer.

See you back at Backspace!

~C~