Friday, June 17, 2005

Sunlight Breaking Through the Clouds...

Quote of the Day: "I have lost my gift."--Will Shakespeare, Shakespeare In Love

Eureka, I've found mine again! Or so it would seem. I have a story that's been brewing in my mind for a long time now, and as my friend Michelle is so fond of quoting, I just "got the sh*t down" last night, until about 2am this morning.

I finally just started writing it, and it was like a flood of words bursting out of a broken dam of stagnation, breaking away chunks of masonry and washing away all the moss and lichen-covered rocks that had been blocking everything for so long.

I realized two things: 1): Now is NOT the time for focusing solely on my YA novel (my agent will not be happy to hear this) but to divide my time between it and my new middle-grade mystery idea (which he will be VERY happy to hear, because he reps childrens' Fiction).

And 2): If I write about something I LOVE, it will be easier to stay excited about it. Duh.
I love History and Archaeology and unsolved mysteries. I love old things and have always dreamed about visiting the Past--to see how it all worked during a certain time period.

So, since I can't personally do it, why can't my heroine? That's all I'll say for now, but I am going to definitely have a lot of fun with this one! The floodgates are OPEN. Woo HOO!

Unfortunately I have a house to tidy and kids to entertain. Guess my heroine's adventures will have to wait until tonight.

URGH.

2 comments:

Michelle Miles said...

BRAVA! I'm so happy to hear you had a break-through. I need another one myself.

And, by the way, I love that movie. :)

Ann said...

Middle-grade mystery - sounds great! I know from my nieces (I'm not sure what ages middle-graders are - my nieces are 8 and 11 now) love mysteries, and in fact are always doing pretend mysteries wiht their dolls. I'd love to read yours to them, someday!