Monday, June 20, 2005

Interesting Weekend

FAVORITE HARRY POTTER BOOK EXCERPT OF THE DAY:
"Oh Professor look! I think I found an unaspected planet! Oooh, which one's that, Professor?"
"It is Uranus my dear," said Professor Trelawney peering down at the chart.
"Can I have a look at Uranus too, Lavender?" said Ron.
Most unfortunately, Professor Trelawney heard him, and it was this, perhaps, that made her give them so much homework at the end of the class
.


The weekend was good. Busy, but good. Things of note:

-Spent most of the weekend getting over being AGHAST that Tom proposed to Katie (wow--they've only been dating for SIX weeks!) I still think it's a tad SQUICKY how controlling Tom Cruise seems to be, DOES ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE NOTICE THIS??? (Summarily shoved this opinion into my “Needs To Get A Life” file and was over it. Period.) Moving on

-Wore my hair curly all weekend (has natural curl but I usually blow it straight)

-Saw BATMAN BEGINS, spent most of the two hour and twenty minute movie sunk into my Pepsi-stained movie theatre chair with my senses being pounded into a pulp—a little dark for my taste but had the proper amount of gratuitous chase scenes, etc. HOWEVER the chemistry between Bale and Holmes couldn’t have been a selling point for the movie, because it was about as flat as left-out-overnight-Ginger Ale, but who’s judging…

-Went out with some people we’ve been wanting to go out with for quite some time SANS KIDS, but haven’t been able to before now because either A)Hubby has been traveling or B) The forces of Nature have been against it.

I am sad. I am wonder if writers are meant to be solitary people sometimes. Since I’ve moved to Wisconsin I haven’t had any real girl friends and that’s 90% my fault, but I am beginning to wonder if I ever will have any. My kids and my writing are my life. Doesn’t leave much room for much else. Although it would be nice to hang out with the girls once in a while, I just never seem to get around to it. And of course I married someone who is VERY social, Hubby loves to go out and do things with people, and we tend to butt heads over what to do on a Friday night:

Hubby: Hey, Honey, Let’s go see ( name of movie premiering that weekend) tonight and maybe go to dinner as well.
Me: That sounds fabulous. But you’re forgetting about something. Well, actually Three Somethings. What will we do with them?
Hubby: Get a sitter.
Me: Um, impossible on short notice. People need TIME to prepare to watch our kids—it’s something you work up to mentally, remember?
Hubby: That’s crazy.
Me: Sweetie, I’d like nothing more than to say it could happen. But it ain’t.
Hubby: BAH.
Me: Okay. So it’s either going to Chilis with the kids and seeing (name of CHILDS movie that is premiering that weekend) with the kids or we just rent a video and order sushi and eat in. Like we did last week. And the week before.
Hubby: Or we could shoot ourselves.
Me: Yeah, we could.

So, until Thing One is old enough to babysit her brothers, we’re doomed to be at the mercy of the sitter. (Who, by the way we have to pay a MINT so that she’ll actually come back and watch our kids the next time we ask her.)

-In Harry Potter news: here is a story about the BACK cover art for HBP being released, (CAUTION: don’t read ahead if you’re one of those FREAKY people who can’t abide SPOILERS):
In putting two and two together, look at the back of the jacket—you clearly see some sort of underground river, with a small boat and a small island with what appears to be a Pensieve perched on the middle of it (this is the U.K. version)


...and when you pair it with the FRONT of the U.S. version, (which, sadly, they won't release the Back Cover Art for, for some reason) you see Harry and Dumbledore peering into what looks like the same thing:

THEREFORE-- it is safe to conclude that Harry and Dumbledore had to travel through some underground cave by boat, to find this pensieve/ancient goblet/bird fountain thingy and they both are alarmed/freaked/amazed at what they see inside. WHAT DOES IT MEAN???

ARRGHHH!! July 16 is TAKING ITS SWEET TIME IN COMING!

2 comments:

Michelle Miles said...

I never want to go out and do things and it drives my husband nuts. So I'm with ya. I wish we lived closer because we could put all our kids in one big play room and write together. Too bad Wisconsin is kinda far for play/write day.

Ann said...

I'm the same way...when the weekend comes, I just want to hole up with a book, a bottle of wine and cable, and hibernate. Yet I keep thinking I should make some friends around here or something. But weeks are so busy, and when the weekend comes it's just too darn much WORK to go out and have fun!