Wednesday, June 15, 2005

So much for Scratch...

Quote of the Day: "Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery."--Spike Milligan

It was raining this morning so I couldn't do my 3-mile jog. It was fine with me anyway, because I have KILLER shin splints. My hubby has this toe-tapping exercise he's shown me that will help ease them, but it doesn't seem to be working. So, I get a break today. I am not going to be one of those crazy people who runs every day, rain or shine. (Granted, I admire their dedication to their exercise, but I like to be at least DRY when I run!)

In other news, I find it highly ironic, that we've been waiting since MARCH to have these landscaping people work on our yard, and now, that they're finally here (and it hasn't rained the 3 weeks previous except maybe one day) it's been RAINING EVERY BLOODY DAY!!!
Yes, highly ironic.

Here's more irony for you--we were out of packaged pancake mix, and in a burst of I'm-not-sure-what-kind-of-energy, I decided to make pancakes from scratch this morning. (Granted, breakfast for us usually consists of cereal, oatmeal or toast and juice, Pancakes are rare and "special")
"Today IS a special day," I thought. After all, it's the only day of the week we have absolutely NO summer sports: no swimming, T-ball, Tennis or Gymnastics. WHEW!

So I got out the cookbook, and made some beautiful pancakes. In no time, Things 1-3 were stumbling down the stairs in their jammies, because they could "smell something good."
They started eating, and Thing One immediately made a face. "These taste funny."

"That's because I made them myself," I answered back crisply. "But if you don't like them you can throw them out and not have anything for breakfast this morning, if that's your choice."

She took a few more half-hearted bites, and then carried the entire plate to the trash. I was a little perturbed, and angrily told her to at least drink her milk.
At least Things 2 and 3 aren't so discerning, they ate most of their breakfast, but OF COURSE followed their older sister's lead and announced that their pancakes "tasted funny" too. URGH.

So much for scratch cooking. Have I been such a lazy cook in my own home that my kids prefer packaged mixes to the Real Thing? Afterwards I had half a mind to go through the pantry and throw out every box and package right then and there. But then I realized that I would be throwing out roughly 90% of the food we have. Very, very sad.

I am going to try and cook more "scratch" meals from now on. My kids are not going to be "Spaghettios Kids." (only on triple-sports nights, heh heh--there's no TIME!) I have resolved to be better.

We'll see how long I last...

2 comments:

Michelle Miles said...

It's so hard to make a good meal from scratch these days with all the family activities. I get home at 6 pm and have to start cooking, so I opt for the shortest fastest route because I have a hungry kiddo. That's my excuse anyway and I love box cooking. And hell, you're good to make pancakes from scratch! I can't even make good ones with Bisquick. haha

However, I bake everything from scratch. I love baking, though, and it gives me satisfaction to know I can make a batch of brownies without a box. :)

Lara said...

Thanks guys! (BK, I'll have to try that next time!)

You would THINK that smothering them in syrup would fix things...