Sunday, February 07, 2010

MAJOR DILEMMA--PC vs Mac!!!!!!

Okay. I know some of you are MACs, and some of you are PCs. I am currently, and have been, for the last 20 or so years, a PC. Love my HP computer, love it love it love it. I know how to maneuver it, I am not a "computer whiz" so I only do basic things on it like write, surf, etc. But I am thoroughly happy and comfortable with it.

So, here's my dilemma. Hubby, last year, took the plunge and became a "MAC" and bought a big, beautiful one. I have to say, I'm impressed with it. But, that being said, I have no idea how to work it, I am thoroughly confused by most of the concepts (ie "Smart folders" vs regular folders, etc) and frankly, I don't have time to learn a completely new operating system. So, we have "His" and "Hers" computers in the office: my PC, his Mac.

Well, Hubby is starting his new job on Monday, and he didn't want to lug that huge Mac to his corporate housing apartment, so, last night he bought a Macbook.

Here's the thing, we have been promising the kids we'd buy them a new computer for their homework/play time (they are currently using my old slower-than-slow HP laptop) and Hubby said this solves our problem. I could have his new mac as "My" computer, and the kids can have my two-year old HP (which I LOVE) as their computer. He thinks it's solved and all hunky-dory.

Do you see the dilemma, here? I am a PC. I am closed-minded pretty much. The Mac is pretty, but I have no idea how to work it. So, do I keep my PC and NOT disrupt my computer habits, or do I take the plunge and inherit the Mac? Hubby thinks the Mac is too expensive for the kids to inherit, and I agree, but I just don't know if I want to change over. I'm along the vein of thinking "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," you know?

What the HECK do I do??? Help!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=pc+notebook&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=8746457028446593177&ei=P_xuS_f2BpyysQO49dmJBQ&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCAQ8wIwAw#ps-sellers

I have heard good things about this for the money. Good Luck. Uncle Rob

Anonymous said...

MACs are great if you have the time to spend re-learning alot of stuff. Honestly, is that where you want to spend your hours?

Give the kids the MAC. I think kids who use MACs are far more likely to be creative thinkers (out-of-the-box type of crap) because a PC is more linear in technology (thought processes). Of course, I have no scientific data to back this up, just observations, conversations and the "blessing" of owning the house where all the kids congregate.

It will be better for them to learn how to use it now versus when they're older. And . . . you'll be such a hero!

Unknown said...

I have a PC but I think I would love a MAC. Everyone I know with a MAC loves theirs. I say give the MAC a go. You'll probably love it and wonder why you waited so long. Besides, if you hate it, you can always go back to the PC, right?

Michelle said...

MACs are great. I have to disagree about it taking long to learn to use one. In fact, once you start using one you quickly realize that it's the MAC that is more user-friendly and intuitive. I am a mom/wannabe perpetual student/amateur historian - in other words, not a person who likes spending tons of time learning computer stuff. I switched to MAC 18 months ago specifically because I wanted to be able to turn it on and have it just work. It does that and more. Not only that, if you have an Apple store nearby, there are sessions you can attend that help you get to know the computer if you want a quick tutorial (they're available to help for bigger stuff too) and the teachers are very helpful and friendly.
I've not had one problem with my MAC (and NO viruses!) Plus, you can get the Microsoft Office suite for MAC if you feel more comfortable with Word, Excel, etc. iPhoto, Delicious Library, iMovie...all great!
I look at the PC now (Hubby is a PC) and think "who are you?" :-)
Good luck!

Michelle Miles said...

I'm with Brenda. Give the kids the Mac. But then, I'm a PC girl all the way.

Devon Ellington said...

It took a couple of weeks to get used to Mac-ology, but once you learn it, it is so much more logical than PC. For a writer, I think a Mac is a necessity, unless you just want to play at writing. The time spent learning it is worth it.

Also, I have Word for Mac, which means I can save/transfer any writing or editing work that needs to be in .doc.

But Pages is much more versatile for writing.

Also, iWeb is much better as far as website design than anything on a PC.

You don't need to worry about viruses the way you do with a PC. The computer actually works -- but be careful, as you know, I got sold one with a lemon hard drive.

Time Machine, the backup system, is just about my favorite invention ever.

My Mac paid for itself within 3 months ANd my productivity's gone up 50%.

I can't believe I was such a dimwit and wasted so many years on PC.

Is Mac perfect? Of course not. But, if you take the time to learn it -- and it doesn't take long, because if I can learn it as quickly as I did, anyone can -- the versatility and the logic and the overall usefulness of it are so far superior to anything PC it's amazing.

People told me that for years, but I didn't believe them, I thought I was too stupid to switch from PC to Mac, and now that I've switched, I can't believe I was a moron and waited so long.

It literally made it possible for me to be a fulltime writer. If I was still dealing with my PC issues,I couldn't earn a living.

I realize you don't have to worry about earning a living, so maybe you don't care, but the ability to make better use of whatever writing time you can grab is well worth it.

Devon Ellington said...

Let me clarify some poor phrasing in the previous post.

I didn't mean to come across like pros can't use a PC to earn a living writing, because plenty do, but in my personal case, the computer switch made the difference between being able to ramp up productivity enough to earn a living at this and having a day job.

The physical change between the two and the ability to get things done without fighting with the illogic of PC all the time and the constant crashes and fails made all the difference.

People who'd made the switch told me about it and I didn't actually believe the difference until I experienced it.

Aimee said...

I'm happy with my PC. Period.

Jennifer said...

I used both every day for 4 years--pc at work and Mac at home. The Mac is much easier to use and has fewer problems. And it's beautiful. And it won't take you long to learn your way around it. You may be double clicking for a while though. : )