Tuesday, August 16, 2005

The Storm Before the Calm...

Quote of the Day: "Don't take life too serious. You'll never escape it alive anyway."--Elbert Hubbard

Hmmm. Food for thought. I think I've used this quote before, but it's a good one.

Well, officially two weeks until School starts up again. Summer Sports are over so now my kids are TRULY bored out of their minds. So I've kept us busy school shopping. We do a little each day to break up the monotony. But now I'm afraid the clothes are bought, the supplies are purchased and if I buy them any more shoes I'll be guilty of spoiling them. So, I need to find ways to entertain them. I guess we'll be going to the BIG park a lot.
I will have my oldest two in ALL-day school (first and second grade) and Thing Three will be in preschool Mon, Wed and Friday. WEIRD. I will have the cleanest house on the planet. I will have time to write. I don't know what I'll do with myself! Hubby had an "excellent" suggestion the other day: "Let's have MORE kids!"

(I don't know if what I hit him with made a mark, but I think it really hurt).
Actually, I have been struggling with the "to have more/to not have more" thing for about two years now. There are two ways of looking at it: A) Kids are a blessing and I should have lots of them because I can, or B) I set myself back 18 years with each new child. (That sounds pretty bad now that I've typed it.)
I love babies. Babies are hard work, but there's nothing like them. I think my hangup is the fact that I had three children so close together (I had THREE in diapers at one point) and it kind of "ruined the joy" if you know what I mean. Of course having my middle child suffer from hyperactivity didn't help.
I have great kids. I have to say it. Sure, they're rambunctious, but they're good kids. And now that my youngest is turning 5 this year, the question whether or not to have more has been on the front burner, I have to admit. So I have some serious things to think about. Do I do the "selfish" thing and focus on my writing career now (which is decidedly hindered by young children) or do I have more kids, and enjoy them now, and have my writing career later in my life? (Hint: I've never been good at balancing both so it really needs to be one or the other.)

Hard questions. Questions that need answers. And I just don't have them right now.

2 comments:

Michelle Miles said...

Babies are sweet. There's nothing better than that baby smell, either. And regarding more kids... as my sister (who has FIVE) says, once you have three, one more really doesn't matter much.

Ann said...

Wow, what a tough decision. The whole balancing act thing is so hard, no matter what you're trying to balance. Good luck in reaching whatever decision works for you.