Thursday, August 11, 2005

Reflections.

Movie Quote of the Day: "You can't be a proper writer without a touch of madness, can you?"--Madeleine, Quills

Thank HEAVEN they nailed those "Bonnie & Clyde" fugitives in Ohio. Gits. Some people just have it coming to them. I mean, how stupid (and evil) can you be?

*Ahem* I have been slightly depressed, because that little flower on my word count meter hasn't budged in about a week. I'm doing a full-edit on my mystery series novel, so the writing part has stagnated. But I've managed to add about 3000 words to my novel as I've edited it. I had my heroine go to Marfa, Texas in 1955 (she has a time machine) to catch a glimpse of James Dean and Elizabeth Taylor on location shooting Giant.

I was obsessed with James Dean as a teenager. I had posters of him all over my wall, and I thought he was EXTREMELY hot and mysterious, and old-world glam, but that was the extent of it. To me, he was just a really cute dead guy.
It wasn't until I read about him recently that I really got to know him a little better. He really was an enigma. He was reserved, a loner, weird, awkward, yet warm and engaging when he opened up. He was extremely insecure--he missed the premiere of his own movie debut, East of Eden, because he couldn't handle the crowds. In short, he was the complete antithesis of his on-screen persona in Rebel Without a Cause. Jim Stark was the epitome of cool. And millions of teenagers responded to him, copying him and dressing like him, trying to be him.

And yes, for want of a better cliche- James Dean was taken before his time. Such a tragedy.

It looks like rain today. Lovely. Today is the last day of T-ball. What is ironic was that T-ball got rained out so many times, today is just a "makeup" for the rained out nights. And it looks like it's going to be rained out. Something about that just isn't right. Poor Thing Two. He was really looking forward to it. Oh well. Life is full of disappointments.

Speaking of which, I took a chance and submitted a short story to an anthology. The deadline was July 14th, and I haven't heard a peep from them, so I'm assuming that's a no. Dang it. I was really hoping that the story I wrote for Thing One would get in there. It's about a Princess who has a war with a neighboring Prince every year until one year, when they're all grown up, they don't remember why they fought in the first place, so they get married and live happily ever after. Thing One LOVES this story. I think I'll just have it bound for her, because she wants to draw pictures for it.

I figured, hey, if I never get published, I'll be the "funnest" grandma someday, (and yes, I know that isn't a word) because I'll have lots of stories that I can read to my grandkids, and they'll be entertained. Kids like my stories. It's the adults (mainly the ones who sit in publishing houses)who have a hard time believing that kids would like them. Therefore, I'll never succeed in this business. But I'm having fun doing it anyway.
There's an extreme satisfaction, knowing that you've completed a novel or a story or a poem. No one can take that satisfaction and sense of accomplishment away from you. At least I have that.

3 comments:

Michelle Miles said...

What was the response time on that? Did they mention it? Don't give up yet! ;) It's not been quite a month yet.

I love your imagination. The story sounds so fun. :)

Ann said...

If your stories are even half as fun and humorous as your blog, you've got it made. Go girl!

Colin said...

LOL!! Sorry...just trying to imagine you as a Granny. :-D