Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Out of the Dark Ages...

Well, I did it. I took the plunge and got high-speed internet. Now, I would be "off my head" with joy, if it actually worked.
I have spent the last two days on the phone with Time Warner and Netgear alternately, and they concluded that my modem is faulty and needs to be replaced, but this morning, it suddenly works. Everything works. So what do I do? Call them and tell them never mind? Or is this going to happen again? The service man should be here this afternoon and frankly, I'm stumped. I belong to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, but who knows if tomorrow it will still work. Tempermental little thing.

In other news, people found my blog using the following searches: "Texas Soccer Mom," "Pajama Party Pullups" (I'm stumped over that one) "Naughty Soccer Mom" and "Bra Panty Slip Mommy Video." (I don't think I even want to ask.) O-Kay.

We're all sick at my house. My neighbor called and begged me to watch her daughter one afternoon (school was out early) and I said yes, and AFTER I said yes she said "Oh, by the way, she has a nasty cold so you might want to spray with Lysol."
Now, maybe I have a personal problem I need to sort out, but I think that was just plain rude. I mean, I would NEVER ask someone to watch my sick child, let alone get them to say yes and THEN divulge the illness.
But being the nice person I am (*cackle*) I bit down firmly on my tongue (don't know when I'll get the blood spots off my shirt) and told her it was OKAY.
Well, that was last Friday. Cut to today, and all three of my children have insufferable head colds/coughs, and now I am coming down with the dreaded scratchy throat as well. I guess that's what I get for being a nice person. Dammit.

I haven't worked on my novel in three whole days. That's got to be some sort of record for me. I guess I've just been too preoccupied with Life. As much as I hate to admit it, my writing always comes second. I have friends who tell me that writing should ALWAYS come first and that I should "assert myself" and have this "my way or the highway" attitude, and I'm sure that works for other writers...but not for me. I guess I just have a different view. If I have the two choices of writing, or spending fun time with my family, I'm almost always going to pick my family. Maybe that's why I will never be very successful in the writing world. I think if I were a single person with no kids, I could pull it off (not that other married women with kids can't make it work, but I'm talking about ME) but I will never have that situation, so I adapt as best I can. I've made the choice of being a full-time mother, and that means everything else has to be part-time.
Trust me, some days I don't want it that way, and I wish things could be different, but most days, I'm glad to be a big nobody because I am a somebody to one man and three adorable little kids. I'm their whole world. And that feels pretty dang important to me.

No comments: