Monday, January 16, 2006

Snow Day!

Today is a good day. A happy day!

I have been struggling as of late with a lot of issues concerning my writing. After much deliberation, I have finally come to a resolution on what I need to do. And now I feel much happier about what I've chosen!

It will take some serious time-management and organization, but I will be able to pull it off, because I have that determination. And I am so much happier when I can do what I love to do, it affects my whole family.

Today we're snowed in. The first snow in a loooong time. It has been 65 and sunny here for weeks--but of course they're saying it will warm up again tomorrow and all the snow will melt. That's okay. The kids and I are having a lazy day. You ever have one of those? It's a holiday so there's no school, we're snowed in, so we're all still in our jammies, I made pancakes for breakfast, and we're watching movies and hanging out. (and of course I will be getting some writing in today while they play downstairs).

We were going to get our boots and coats and gloves and scarves and hats on and play out in the snow for a while, but Thing One has a scratchy throat so we'll just have hot cocoa and enjoy the snow from the window. That's fine with me. I think once you reach adulthood it isn't as "fun" to freeze your buns off and get snow down your pants while making snow angels. Not very appealing anymore.

I think we might bundle up and head to Barnes and Noble--there is a series of childrens' books with dragons in them I promised we'd get and I have a gift certificate--so why not? We love bookstores. My kids and I could spend hours in them. Now that I don't need a stroller or a diaper bag and they know how to behave, I can pretty much take them in there for as long as we want and it's actually a fun experience.

How I miss Half Price Books back in Wisconsin! We went there weekly, and of course they each got to pick a book (because they were all around $3) and it was so funny to see how diverse their tastes were in books.
Now that we have to pay full price for the books (I still haven't found a discount book store here, I need to try) we all decide on ONE book at the bookstore together.
But today I promised them the dragon series, so it should be fun.

I just wish Hubby had taken the day off so he could play with us. He'll be in L.A. this week so I should get a lot done at night in the writing arena. Woo hoo!

5 comments:

Lowa said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. I am impressed that your kids are not out there in the snow already. I guess it is not as unusual for them, they were used to it back in Wisconsin, eh??

Glad you are feeling better about your writing! Sorry about no Half Price books, I am surprised they don't have one. You guys sound like us with books. I have one who doesn't enjoy them very much, but the other three and I LOVE them. Two of mine somehow taught themselves to read right around their 4th birthdays and we have close to 1,000 "kid" books on various cluttered shelves throughout the house.

I hear you about no diaper bags and strollers! Strange, I had a dream just last night that we had another baby and carried her around in a paper bag with us, trying to think of what to name her!?!?

The Ramblin Irishman said...

Hi there, good to see you are still blogging. I am like you in that I like going to bookstores. My problem is not having enough money to buy all I want.

There were days in CA that I would hear of snowstorms back in my home state and I would go our and pat the palm tree. Now that I am back here in the snow I don't go out and pat a palm tree I just reach over and pat the little woman. I only go out when it is absolutely necessary.

I still would like to know what type of writing you do.

Ann said...

Sounds like a great "snow-day"! I think bad weather days when families can just kick back and have fun together and have nowhere to go or be are one of the finest things a family can have - and I think they were created for that very reason.

Ann said...

Sounds like a great "snow-day"! I think bad weather days when families can just kick back and have fun together and have nowhere to go or be are one of the finest things a family can have - and I think they were created for that very reason.

Michelle Miles said...

Aw. What a great day! It was 70 and warm here. PBLT! I'm glad to hear you found a solution to your problem. ;)