Wednesday, March 09, 2005

My Daughter, the Theorist...

QUOTE OF THE DAY: If Dracula can't see his reflection in a mirror, how come his hair is always so neatly combed?

Kids say the darnedest things, without a doubt. My seven year-old daughter (who shall remain nameless because this IS the Internet—I call her Thing One) has had a lot of “deep thoughts” about things lately.
The other day she spent a few hours at a friend’s house, during which they watched the movie “Princess Bride.” (One of my all-time faves.) I asked her how she liked it, and she said that except for all the “gross kissing” it was pretty neat. Then, after a long pause (during which I assumed the conversation was over and that was that) our conversation resumed. It went something like this:

Thing One: Mom?

Me: Yes?

Thing One: Did you and Daddy ever kiss like that?

Me: Kiss like what?

Thing One: Like they kissed in Princess Bride at the end? They kissed a long, long time.

Me: Well of course we…did. I mean, yeah. We still do!

Thing One: You do? I’ve never seen you.

Me: Hmmmm.

Thing One: Daddy only kisses you really fast.

Me: Oh.

Thing One: I’ve never seen T. and N. (our neighbors) kiss like that either.

Me: How about J. and R.? (our other neighbors)

Thing One: Nope. (thinks for a minute) Mom?

Me: Yes?

Thing One: how long have you and Daddy been married?

Me: Nine years next month

Thing One: That’s why. You’ve been married a long, long time. It’s probably not fun to kiss anymore.

I had to laugh at this, and set her straight. Granted, my hubby and I avoid "sucking face" in front of our children (for obvious reasons) but I find it funny that she would think of such things. She's become awful curious lately, about life and love and "how things work." *sigh* They grow up so fast!

In other news, I had my tooth pulled yesterday and it’s already healing up fine. Whew! I'm just a little sore today. My oral surgeon prescribed Vicodin, but clearly, in my profession, being in a drugged-out stupor is not a good thing. I have way too many kids to juggle and a lot of running around to do. So I'm opting for Ibuprofen. It works just fine.

Also, in the “It’s-not-so-important-to-most-people-but-it’s-exciting-to-me” vein, Scholastic unveiled the new Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince Cover yesterday. You can see a supersized version of it here.
It appears (to me anyway) to be Dumbledore and Harry, peering into what seems to be an ancient Pensieve. Cool!

2 comments:

Michelle Miles said...

ROFL. Get ready for "the talk", Lara. It's coming. :)

Ann said...

Hee, Hee! Loved that story!
And MIK is right about "the talk" - I always remember a funny story about that in Erma Bombeck - teenagers were talking about "the talk" from their parents, and one said his dad got so flustered he had a humingbird making time with a bumblebee.