Wednesday, March 02, 2005

I'll Never Get This Novel Written...

QUOTE OF THE DAY:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not your sport.”

I’ve recently come to the reluctant conclusion that “surfing” the internet sucks away entirely TOO much of my writing time. I allow a couple of hours in the afternoons (usually during my kids' “quiet time”) and for some reason, the same pattern always seems to happen.

Sure, it all starts out innocently enough, I get onto the internet to check email ( or to peek into my writer’s forums), and inevitably, the temptation to SURF proves too strong for my fragile constitution. And off I go.

Some of the sites I find EXTREMELY high on the Time-Suckage Scale:

The Movie Spoilers Website: if you’re like me and have no time to go to the movies and DON’T want to wait until the DVD release, go here. (Warning, this site gives away ENTIRE PLOTS to movies!!!)
I also visit my little addictive helicopter game, and then run over to HPANA, where all the latest news of all things Harry Potter can be viewed. Of course I have to peek into Harry Potter Adults (a forum where adults can talk about all things Harry Potter with dignity, and not be subjected to the typical teen drivel, i.e.: OMG Harry is so HOT! Ron is HOT! I wish I could marry them! It would be sooo way kewl if Harry and Hermione got together and got married and my g-friend is always telling me that I should date Dan Radcliffe, he’s so…HOT!!!)
Puhleeze.
Anyway, I find myself in “Google Research” mode for yet another big chunk of time, and of course, the highly addictive Ebay. Sometimes I go for a little Bejeweled 2 or Bespelled. Then I might venture to see the latest at Fox News.

Then I glance up at the clock and see that it is now 4pm, and my children will be arriving on the front doorstep in approx. 4 minutes and 25 seconds, give or take 15 seconds. AND WHERE DID ALL THE TIME GO?
Down a little thing I like to call the “Internet Surfage Time-Sucking Drain”
I need to change my ways, or else I’ll never get this novel written.

I wonder if other writers have this problem?

3 comments:

Colin said...

Same kinda thing happened to me....then my boss persuaded me otherwise. ;-)

Michelle Miles said...

THANKS for the movie spoiler site! WOOHOO! LOL Yes, it happens to me. That's why I have to remove my wireless network card from my laptop when I want to do "serious" writing. PS Love the new site!

Ann said...

I wonder if other writers have this problem?

Yup. Bigtime.

Ann