Sunday, January 05, 2014

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME, MICROSOFT????

Santa was good to us for Christmas. Hubby got a new Macbook Pro (it was time, his four-year old one was on its way out) and I got a 13-inch Macbook air, so my writing can be more portable.

Anyway, I am not ashamed to admit, I am a little old school. I had a PC for 25 years, and old habits die hard. I like MS Office. And since my switch to Mac I have put Office for Mac on my Macs.

So, I dig out my copy of Office 2011 for Mac (We had installed it on all four of our Macs two years ago) and installed it on Hubby's. Then I installed it on mine. I got the error message "this product key has already been used." Well, duh. Isn't that what you always do with Microsoft Office? You buy one expensive copy and put it on all your computers at home? (Let's face it, no one has just one home computer any more.)

Unluckily for us, the money-grabbing cretins at Microsoft were counting on this fact, because as of 2013 they decided that going forward, their MS Office copies would be ONE DOWNLOAD ONLY. If you want another product key, you have to go and spend ANOTHER $219 and buy ANOTHER copy of Microsoft Office. A fact I confirmed with the software people at Best Buy last night at 8:55 pm, because I had to run there right before the store closed and buy ANOTHER copy of MS Office.

I am glad we already have it on our other macs. Can you imagine having to buy THREE more copies instead of one? I was furious. Fuming. I can't believe Microsoft has gotten this greedy. DE-SGUSTING.

I have Pages and such, but I've worked with Word for so long, I just don't want to use anything else. Another fact I'm sure Microsoft is counting on. Suckers like me will pay to have their products.

I miss the good old days when companies weren't trying to nickel and dime you to death. Those days are SO gone. Another part of America I need to say bye-bye to, forever.

*sigh*

No comments: