Friday, September 30, 2005

My Writing Fantasies...

Quote of the Day (Stolen from Michelle's Blog) : "If the Doctor told me I had six minutes to live, I'd type a little faster."--Isaac Asimov

I had a writing fantasy when I was a teenager--that I would get a phone call from Steven Spielberg, at my house, and it would go something like this:

Lara: Hello?

SS: Hello. I'm looking for Lara So-and-so.

Lara: This is she.

SS: Hi, Lara, this is Steven Spielberg

Lara: Very funny.

SS: No, seriously, this is really him. I am calling because I read your novel, and I am really interested in making it into a movie."

Lara: (long pause of stupefied silence) Are you kidding me?

SS: No. I overheard my wife reading your novel to my daughter, and I started to get some really great ideas. I'd like to fly you out to meet with me in L.A. so we can go over details and discuss it. Does next Thursday work for you?

Lara: Um...

SS: Don't worry, I'll pay for everything. You just bring yourself, and your novel. I want to buy the rights from you for a LOT of money, I promise. But of course, you could have a part in writing the screenplay for the movie.

Lara: Holy Crap, are you serious?

SS: Very serious.

Lara: (unintelligible screaming) OH MY HECK YEAH! (more unintelligible screaming)

So, that has always been my writing fantasy. But now, it's changed slightly. Since I can't seem to get said novel sold, my new fantasy is that I visit New York with my Hubby on one of his business trips.
During the elevator ride up in my swanky hotel, the elevator gets stuck, and its just me and a man I don't know.
We realize that we are stuck and we sit down to wait it out, and he asks me what I do for a living, and I tell him I'm a writer. The man asks me what I write, and I tell him I write Young Adult fiction, and he seems interested. He asks me to tell him about my stories, because, after all, we seem to have nowhere to go at the moment.

So I tell him all about the plots of my novels, and he seems to really like my ideas. After three hours of him getting details out of me, the elevator power suddenly resumes, and the door opens to my floor. He thanks me for "entertaining him" during our elevator experience, and tells me that he's an editor, and he really would like me to drop by his office with my manuscripts, because he thinks I have some really original ideas, and he'd like to read them.

I pause, blocking the elevator door from shutting, apologize and ask him "What is your name again?"
He removes his glasses and cleans them. "My name is Arthur. Arthur Levine. You can call me Art."
I stand there, temporarily immobilized. "Yeah, sure, I'd be happy to do that," I finally manage.

So, there you have it-- my new-and-improved writing fantasy. I'm sure every writer has 'em. So, what's your story?

Time to enter the real world...*sigh* Hope everyone has a good weekend!

3 comments:

Lara said...

Oops! Comment Word Verification is now ON...

Michelle Miles said...

F'n spammers SUCK.

My writing fantasy: just holding that paperback for the first time and sniffing the pages. I would so love that.

Ann said...

This is so cool - this fantasy was great! My fantasy is sitting in an airplane, talking to another person in the seat, and when we exchange names he or she says, "OMG! Are you the author of..."
Yeah, I know. But it's fun to dream.
Actually - your book would make a very good movie!