Friday, May 31, 2013

Are We Getting Lazier?

My daughter is finishing up a Shakespeare unit at school. She was on the computer yesterday asking me what England was like during Shakespeare's time. 
Well, I walked right over to my office and picked my copy of "Shakespeare's England" off my bookshelves. I handed it to her. "This has everything you need," I said. 
She took one look at it and shook her head. "Who has time to read that? I just need to Google on the computer and paste it." 

She didn't even open the book.
 

I've just discovered a major difference between my generation and hers. Not sure how I feel about that.

I remember going to libraries and getting frustrated because the big reference books I needed couldn't be checked out. They had to stay IN the library. So I had to get pencils and paper and write down NOTES. I had to WORK for my homework. I had to search through dusty card catalogs and go on hunts for the books I needed, and I checked them out. Then I had to READ them at home, and pluck what info I could from them and use it.

Fast forward to now and any info you need is a Google search away--and you can just use it any way you please. You can copy and paste right into your document. Its as simple as that.

I guess I understand why my kids have more homework than I did when I was their age. Because their resources and technology are faster and more accessible, therefore they can get more done in a shorter time. 

I'm wondering if we should even call it "homeWORK" anymore. ;-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm worried libraries will be obsolete one day....