Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Rejection Sucks

I didn't post yesterday because I was too beside myself--my novel got rejected by the editor at the big publishing company. I got the email from my agent in the morning, and frankly, I was stunned throughout most of the day, until I got on the phone with my mom (she always brings out the waterworks--and I revert to being a teenager it seems) so I got it all out.
I sort of spent the day in a perilous stupor, thinking dangerous thoughts like "why do I even write--I obviously stink" and "I'll never do this again, I'm throwing in the proverbial towel," etc..

I had a conversation with my agent today and he seems very optimistic that we'll place the novel, I mean after all, the editor LOVED it and raved about it, until she did an about-face and decided it was really "not for her." (maybe she works with John Kerry?)
Ok that was a cheap shot but it was strange that she did such an about-face, with little or no explanation. Life goes on. I will go on. Hopefully this will make me a better person, and I'll want to go out and save the world, be kind to stray animals, recycle, etc..
For now I'm concentrating on something new, and not letting it get me down. The weather is so beautiful here, with the fall colors, and the crisp air, and I LOVE the fact that I have a corner desk in my office with two big windows on either side, so I can enjoy the view while I write.
Life is good. I just need to be patient.

No comments: