Friday, January 26, 2007

Lazy Day, lazy post...

No school today. So the kids and I just finished having pancakes for breakfast. Hubby got me one of those belgian waffle makers (the kind you close and flip over to cook) so we've been having WAYYYYY too many waffles as of late. Pancakes are the bomb.

Not much going on today, I'm getting the kids to organize their rooms, and Thing One has a Brownie Troop activity at a fitness center. We might go out (our favorite non-school day trip: Half Price Books!) but it's still in the teens as far as weather is concerned. This kind of unrelenting cold makes me a bit crazy. And I can't wash my car because the water will freeze on it and I'll be driving a giant icecube--but it's so dirty and covered in salt from the roads. It's gross. This is the kind of freezing cold you keep your gas tank full in. I forgot and left a big bottle of water in my car during work yesterday, and in just four hours it was frozen solid.

So I've got Thing Two in his room (he's in trouble currently for not being nice at breakfast) and Thing Three is in my bed playing his gameboy, and Thing One is on the other side of my bed writing a story. I helped her make up names for her make-believe creatures while we were flipping pancakes this morning.
Thing One reminds me so much of myself, at her age. She's always got a composition notebook and a pencil in her hands, (and I'm always finding them all over the house...grrrrr) and she's constantly asking me if she can "read me her story so far" so see if I like it. In fact, I think she's going to be a MUCH better writer than me, because she is constantly writing. I only really did it in school until I was much older. She's been writing stories since she was seven. I've got notebooks and notebooks in boxes that she's filled up with her poems and stories. In fact, her teacher entered one of her poems in a contest and she WON! So yes, she's my little writer. She's basically a little Lara, only with blonde hair. SCARY.

I have my ultrasound today, and thanks for all the well-wishes. I have a feeling everything is going to be fine. Hubby is getting off work early so he can be there.

I'd better go up and talk to Thing Two about being rude at breakfast. He got mad because it looked like he didn't have any syrup on his pancakes. I had to explain to him that it had soaked in, but that wasn't good enough. He is my ONE grumpy child in the morning. I sure can't wait until he's a teenager! (Yes, that was blatant sarcasm.)

Okay, this is too funny: my daughter just informed me that she has "writer's block" and my six year-old son just randomly uttered "Cheeeese, Gromit!" for no particular reason.

Kids.

Have a good weekend, all! Stay warm!
Lara

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It seems like your kids always have a day off from school!! When I was a kid, days off were few and far between!!

Good luck today at your ultrasound!

Lara said...

It's all these "teacher inservice" days we have. But I will say my kids didn't have MLK day off. Its a wonky schedule, for sure.

Lowa said...

How was the ultrasound?? Is the little man doing well in there??

That is SO AWESOME about Thing One. My oldest loves to write, but not as much as that. How special!

I think it is a second child thing, what is going on with Thing Two. My second brother was always stirring things up, my second child is, all my friend's second kids...I find it fascinating!!

Mmmmmm...waffles! I would make some for the troops tomorrow except I need to be gone by 6:30 am to get Jock to one of his two hockey games tomomrrow. He needs to play for the All Star team in the morning and his regular team in the afternoon. Two more games on Sunday, I need to miss church again which I HATE!

Maybe one day I will get to sleep in a bit:)

Michelle Miles said...

LOL - I love Wallace & Gromit!

My litte one has been talking back quite a bit and we've had discussions about that. However, I can't stop myself from busting out laughing when he says, "DUH, Mom."

Anyway, glad everything went well yesterday at the drs. Take it easy, okay? Even though I know you won't. :)