Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A Small Announcement:

Okay, it was even COLDER today. And since we're at the top of the hill, the wind is unbearable. It cuts like a knife. And my kids have FOUR recesses. At least they play hard, that will keep them warm.

I've got the heat on in the house now. I went as long as I could without it, but 68 degrees is too cold for me. It has to be at 71, MINIMUM. Luckily I have a sunroom for an office and I can camp out back there, where it's all windows. :-)

I have made a decision. It's time to get serious about my writing. I only have seven months of freedom before this baby comes, and I want to crank out at least two middle-grade novels. Oh, and yes, by the way, we're getting an addition to our family. Thing Four will be making it's appearance sometime in late April.
Yes, I am absolutely nuts. But I am excited too.

So, back to the writing. I have been doing everything half-assed, and not really trying. I think I am scared of failing, more than anything. I watched the movie "Akeela and the Bee" the other night (VERY good film--watch it) and there was a quote by Marianne Williamson that started like this:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond imagination. It is our light more than our darkness which scares us. We ask ourselves – who are we to be brilliant, beautiful, talented, and fabulous. But honestly, who are you to not be so?"

That really struck me. It's not that I'm afraid to fail at writing. I'm afraid to be successful. (Maybe because it's MORE work!) Kidding. But it all made sense to me. But I have to admit, fear of failure has been a major issue in the writing department for me.

But the only way I'm going to really find out my limitations, is to test them, and see where the chips fall.

I tossed and turned all last night. I tried drinking warm milk (ew--never try it) I tried computer solitaire. Then I realized that I am wasting my time, and I should be writing. I went back to bed after that, with a new determination.

Guess I'd better start...

6 comments:

Lowa said...

You STINKER!

I am reading along, enjoying the blog as always, when I see the word "baby". And as nonchalant as you were about it, I thought maybe you were speaking of something else (I have no idea WHAT. Something else that was on the to do list and once it was done you would have no time to write, perhaps) and just called it "baby". Then WHAM! Sure enough, Thing Four is on her/his way!

I am excited for you and do not think you are crazy at all! I have been wondering recently if we would hear this news. I could just tell you were longing for another baby to cuddle and care for:)

Of course, I HAVE four kids, so of course I would understand:) This is AWESOME! Planning on another after this to be closer to this one's age, or keeping the six year age gap between this one and Thing Three? Just curious. I have a friend who had three kids ages 13, 11 and 9 when they decided to have another. He will be one next week and they are talking about having two more to keep him company when the older ones are gone. There is not as much difference between your's, of course.

OH! I AM SO EXCITED. And a little jealous...

The writing news is good, too. Sorry if I have mentioned it. I am so excited, I can't keep calm. My brother's latest book will come out on October 6th. He just sent me his traveling schedule for his readings, too. All over Canada, didn't see any for the states. Check out "All This Town Remembers" on Amazon if you so desire. I am so proud I could burst:) Although...his writing is not something you may be into, now that I think about it. Still...

Michelle Miles said...

I absolutely ADORE that quote. Can I steal it??? It epitomizes exactly how I feel on a daily basis.

You get some rest and don't stress yourself out. Cooking a baby is hard work on the baby and you need to take it easy. :)

Michelle Miles said...

DUGH - that should have said "on the BODY" sheesh....

Unknown said...

Congrats!!!

I'm convinced that you should write mystery novels, b/c you sure are sneaky.....and I'm not just talking about this baby business... ;)

I loooved Akeelah and the Bee. I went and saw it alone b/c no one would go with me. I'm glad I did.

Lara said...

Sneaky, ME??? I am SO pleading the Fifth on that one...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations all around, Lara, that is happy news!

Auntie