Friday, September 01, 2006

I'm Getting a Book Urge...

I have to admit, I've been good for a while. In the last three months, I've only ordered ONE book online (A.S. Byatt's Possession, because I loved the movie and heard the book was way better), and I have made ZERO trips to my Home Base: Barnes and Noble.

When I lived in Wisconsin, my home base was always the Half Price Books in Brown Deer. That place was...awesome. All the research books you could want, for 3-6 dollars each. Even big picture History books, for $9. I mean, I LOVED that place!

Now that things have calmed down somewhat, I've been writing at night, and I'm itching to have books around me again. Lots of books. STACKS of books. They're like loyal dogs: always there when you need them, and they don't care what you look like when you get out of the shower. (But you don't have to feed them or take them potty--which is a perk.)

But I digress. I am ITCHING to go to Half Price Books. Or to any bookstore, and pick up one or two, or five. OR ten. (stop it, Lara, stop it!!!)

Well, the weekend is upon us, and I am going to take the kids to the lake for a picnic Saturday, and let them ride around on their new bicycles. They'd outgrown their old ones, and luckily kid's bikes are cheap. Except my daughter has graduated to a 24-inch bike and those are NOT cheap. What joy is mine. I can't believe my first baby is going into THIRD grade!

Have a fabulous weekend, and Enjoy Labor Day. And don't wear any white shoes afterwards!

(unless you're a nurse...)

6 comments:

Lowa said...

I don't think I even OWN any white shoes, so I am safe:)

Yes, books are certainly awesome. I need a few new shelves to hold more. We must have almost two thousand books in this house and are always running out of room. We down-size and donate things often, but I can't seem to ever part with books. That is just wrong.

I know how you feel about Thing One. MY first baby is going into GRADE EIGHT! ACK! I am putting a few of mine in public school this year, just for a year to have a break and for them to experience it again.

We leave with Princess in a few minutes for her to meet her Kindergarten teacher. Her older brother had this same teacher his one year in public school. So we shall see how this goes!

Have a great weekend!

When can we know what the curveball was???

Lara said...

Soon...very soon...

;-)

Michelle Miles said...

Ah yes. We're getting to that time of year when it's a no-no, aren't we?

I'm buying books. Unfortunately, they're all for work so no fun stuff for me. AND I've already packed up most of them, which is a tragedy. :)

Unknown said...

I guess I'm an eternal fashion faux pas. I wear white shoes year round. Honestly, I think that rule died with Hammer pants.

Lara said...

HAMMER PANTS are DEAD???

;-)

Kat Campbell said...

As a writer myself, I must encourage you to give in to your yearnings! There is no such thing as too many books. Everyone should be buying several every single week. There's a practical reason for abandoning white shoes after labor day - winters rain, snow and ice get them filthy!