Monday, September 18, 2006

Late Post

I had some computer problems today, so I'm posting a "tad" late. (Not that many people read this crap, anyway!)

I've been feeling a little overwhelmed lately. Lots of stuff I can't go in to, but I'm getting tired of all of it in a HURRY. But I have to keep going. I have to keep my head up. If I don't, I'm beat. And I'm not ready for that status, yet.

Thing One was rifling through my old CD's today, and she put in Enya's "Shepherd Moons." I was immediately transported to the Other World that my 19th-century heroine visits in the first novel I ever wrote.
I wrote that entire novel to Enya's Shepherd Moons, and Watermark. Just hearing the music again made me sad. It was the story that landed me an agent. It came thisclose a few times to wowing a couple of editors.

Ultimately, it never impressed an editor enough for a sale. So it sits on my virtual shelf, collecting dust and mostly forgotten. The first novel I ever wrote. And edited for ten years off and on. Rest In Peace.

It's not an easy thing, realizing that you are a great storyteller, but a mediocre writer. I read Kristin Nelson's blog, and she even said once that it's pretty sad, when a story sounds great in the initial query, but the writer doesn't have the ability to write it well, and she ends up disappointed with the partial.
I think I have some great ideas. Maybe I'm just not the one to write them. Reality can be a beotch, sometimes.

Well, I'm ready for this day to be over. Tomorrow has to be better...

1 comment:

Ann said...

As a certified bookworm, (I spend more on books than electronics, have thick glasses and often wear my hair in a bun - if that doesn't make me a certified bookworm I don't know what does!), I have read your stuff - and it is NOT mediocre! And I suspect your other readers will agree, certified bookworms or not.