Friday, November 05, 2010

"But Mom, I Need REAL Uggs!!!"


Okay, I may have gotten a "little" carried away with yesterday's post. Maybe I will start decorations for Christmas in two weeks.

Anyway, now that it's cold, we are getting winter shoes for the kids. Thing One let me know, that under no conditions, was she to have "fake" Ugg boots. I was like, "excuse me? Do you know how much Uggs are?"

Apparently not. I went on to explain that I could buy 6.8 pairs of fake Ugg boots for the price of ONE real pair.

"But Mom, everyone has real Uggs! They call the fake ones "Fuggs!"

Hubby and I had a real laugh over that one. "Fuggs." Ha ha.

She was not so amused. I told her when she got a real job and could earn her own clothes, she could blow her money on "non" Fuggs, if she so desired. She didn't much care for that, but when she saw that I got her black Fuggs with buttons, chocolate brown tall Fuggs and light brown fake-sherpa Fuggs and Gray Fuggs, she was okay with it. I mean, now she has Fuggs for every outfit, whereas she would have been limited to one pair of the real thing.

I really think she would almost not care about variety. One pair of real Uggs would be okay with her. Sad.

A small part of me just wanted to cave and buy her the real Uggs (I can't talk, I have to have real Coach handbags) but I haven't bought a Coach bag in two years, I'm proud to say, and with this economy the way it is, I need to help my kids realize that money doesn't grow on trees. Even if Hubby thinks *I* think so. ;-)

Viva Fuggs!!!

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Good job, Mom! And what are NC kids doing wearing toasty warm boots?

Anonymous said...

Okay I agree with you in theory, but as I type, I have on my thirteen-year-old's UGGs. They're black and they're so comfy. My fifteen-year-old has a beautiful brown pair which I also borrow every so often.

The way I see it, as long as they wear the same shoe size as mom, then I'm okay with it.

Also, just FYI, fake Sperrys are called Ferrys.

Anonymous said...

Good for you for sticking to the fugs. My daughters all have fugs and they are just fine.

Aimee said...

We buy the Sketchers brand Fuggs. To me, that IS name brand!

Devon Ellington said...

Great stuff. If she wants them so badly, she can get out there and earn the money for them. I started to earn the money for what I wanted (which of course meant I thought I would JUST DIE if I didn't get it FAST).

My criteria, post-college, for how badly I want something expensive is, "If it's the same price as a plane ticket, would I rather have the plane ticket?" Most of the time, the answer is yes, so I go on a trip instead! ;)

I don't like Uggs, so I don't have them -- the LL Bean boots work better for me, and I also love some of the Timberland. They fit my feet better (I'm a Pisces, so it's all about the feet) and, honestly, I just don't like the look of Uggs.

Besides, if "everyone" has them -- I don't want them!

Claudia said...

Hi Lara!
where did you bought them? I think my little girl would love them! I hope I can find them here in Texas.
please let me know, thanks!!!

Claudia. (your hubby's Argentine friend... in case you don't know who I am. :)
claudiadelpapa@gmail.com