Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Boy Am I in Trouble...

QUOTE OF THE DAY: "Raising kids is part joy and part guerrilla warfare." --Ed Asner

Big BOOK trouble, that is. Ever since the discovery of a Half Price Books near my neighborhood, I have made almost weekly trips there, and come back home loaded down with a lot of things I probably don’t need, but LOVE to have.
It’s crazy. You can find anything you want there. Hardbacks, paperbacks, movies, software, books on tape, cd’s, records, you name it. My particular interests lately have been research books for the genres I write. This week’s spoils include:
THE LIFE OF ELIZABETH I by Allison Weir
THE STUARTS (A Royal History of England) Edited by Antonia Fraser
THE TUDORS (A Royal History of England) Edited by Antonia Fraser
VICTORIAN AND EDWARDIAN FASHION: A PHOTOGRAPHIC SURVEY (With 253 illustrations) by Alison Gernsheim (**very excited about this one!**)
THE COMPLETE TUTANKHAMUN: THE KING, THE TOMB, THE ROYAL TREASURE by Nicholas Reeves
PYRAMIDS, TEMPLES & TOMBS OF ANCIENT EGYPT: AN ILLUSTRATED ATLAS OF THE LAND OF THE PHARAOHS by Lorna Oakes
THE VICTORIANS by A.N. Wilson

What can I say? I am in SO much trouble. Granted, that grand excursion only set me back around $60, but that adds up when you do it a few times a month!
I think I need to get to the Library more…
I have to say though, Half Price Books is WAY more fun than a conventional bookstore, because you don’t know what you’ll find in there. For example, one of my friends, who collects vintage Sweet Valley High books, goes in there weekly to see what she can add to her collection, and one week, to her utter joy, she found that someone had turned in almost a complete set.
Same with another friend, who collects original V.C. Andrews books, (which for some reason are nigh impossible to find) and she’s had a lot of luck there too.
I need to just STOP going there. That’s what I’ll do. I’ll stop cold turkey. Yes, that's it. I don’t have to go to a freaking bookstore every week! I have so many other things I can do with my time! I have children and a family to take care of, for Cripe's sake! (And of course now that I’ve said that, some brilliant professor of History has just cleaned out his closet somewhere and is headed to Half Price Books to unload his research materials…)

Ooh, where are my car keys???

1 comment:

Michelle Miles said...

HEHE! Don't deny yourself, Lara. Besides, you only live once! My husband is fond of saying, "It's only money. I get more every week." :)