Monday, April 18, 2005

Ah, Soccer, Soccer, Soccer...

Quote of the Day: Some people are like slinkeys; they don't really serve a purpose, but you can't help but laugh when one of them falls down the stairs.

It feels like an Eternity since I blogged last. I have shirked my blogger duty. What can I say? Life Happens. I have spent considerably less time on the computer lately and more time working on my house and paying attention to my kids.
It's tough to find that "balance" and I don't quite think I've mastered it yet. When I am true to my writing/surfing, my family suffers, and when I'm true to my family/house, my computer gets neglected. There was actually a layer of dust on it this morning, and that's something I haven't seen in a while.
Unfortunately, I am going on a mini-vacation this week, so my computer will be even MORE neglected. Be that as it may, here is a brief rundown of how all the first soccer games went on Saturday:

Thing One: Our only daughter, is seven years old. Her game was at 9am Saturday morning. The first game of the day.
She hasn't played a game since Fall (her teammates had other commitments, so there weren't enough girls to play indoor soccer) and their first game was against a team that had been playing indoor soccer ALL winter long, and had quite the advantage in my opinion. Thing One just stood there, looking like a deer in headlights when the game began, and finally, after I broke character and shouted "MOVE THING ONE!!!" from the sidelines she seemed to snap out of it and after that she was on fire. Her team ended up losing, but only by one goal. Way to go Thing One!

Thing Two: Our five-year old, who really wasn't "into" soccer last season, and who BEGGED me to sign him up again (I suspect it was because his younger brother might show him up) announced at 11:30 (five minutes before we arrived at his game field) that he "didn't want to play soccer and wanted to go home."
I thought to myself here we go again because last season I endured a child who, bless him, decided that he'd rather sit out and flirt with the girls on his team than play, and when he DID play, he had to be doing some disastrous "Lord of the Dance" parody at all times on the field instead of paying attention to where the ball was in play, or scoring a goal for the wrong team.
So, I gritted my teeth, and told him that if he didn't get his skinny butt out on that field, that I'd deny him any Gamecube time for a month.
Apparently that did it, because he snapped out of his slump almost immediately, and played a rousing game (in which he scored the first goal, and for HIS team!) until a blister forced him to be sidelined for the rest of the time. GO THING TWO! I think he has finally arrived.

Thing Three: Our four-year old, and last son. A.k.a. "The Bulldozer," this boy IS Sports. He wants to do it all, and he has boundless energy. His Peewee League game was the same time as his brother's (but at a different field) so I missed it. But I heard he did mostly well, except for the goal he scored for the other team. But hey, at least he had people cheering for him! Hubby said he was so excited (doing the Full Victory Dance and all) that he didn't have the heart to chide him for scoring for the opposing team. Go Thing Three!

Whew. Needless to say, it was a busy Saturday. I have hope that as the season progresses, it will become more "fun" to watch, and less painful, although our Saturdays will be completely full from here to end of June.

Such is the life of a Soccer Mom.

or Baseball Mom, or Softball Mom, or Football Mom, or Volleyball Mom.........

1 comment:

Michelle Miles said...

Your story about Thing Two made me chuckle. When I was little, I took ballet classes. Every Saturday morning, I didn't want to go. But my mother made me and when I got there I didn't want to leave. I gave her heck both directions. My poor mother. LOL