Thursday, April 10, 2008

Yeah, I'm Angry.

Okay, those of you who read my blog know that I like to “keep it light.” I don’t normally indulge in political or religious posts, but I feel strongly about this topic, and I need to put this “out there.” You’ll just have to humor my moment of indulgence, I’ll be back to normal soon, I promise.

I’m sure many of you have been following the horrific story about the Polygamist compound in El Dorado, Texas the last few days. It is certainly a tragedy.

I am a respecter of religions, but NOT when they put children at risk.

My heart breaks for the many children held captive in that compound, who have lost their innocence, and their identity.

What really made me angry, though, is the name of this so-called sect: they call themselves the “Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.”

Folks, there is no, and I repeat NO AFFILIATION WHATSOEVER, with the real Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, also known as the Mormons. I cannot stress this enough.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is a Christian faith, with the attitude that children are to be loved and nurtured in righteous homes, and taught to be good, law-respecting citizens. Our children aren’t even encouraged to DATE, until they are 16. Our temples are sacred places where work is carried on for those who have passed away and for couples to be married for Time and Eternity. As a Mormon myself, I have been married in the Temple, and I can attest to this. LDS temples are places of peace and tranquility, where members reflect and serve.

These so-called FUNDAMENTALISTS had rooms in their “temples” where underage children were violated. I won’t even list the other atrocities here. It sickens me to read the reports.

There is simply no correlation between the Mormon Church, and these Texas-based fundamentalists. Mormons DO NOT practice polygamy, either, by the way. I would encourage all LDS bloggers to proclaim the same, in their blogs.

My heart goes out to these Texas victims, and their families. Hopefully the criminals who violated and ruined their lives will be brought to justice.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

The name of their group is painful to see, isn't it? They are fundamentally nuts!

Anonymous said...

The media should do a stronger job of differentiating the actual religion with these fundamentalists, and, by now, the general public should be savvy enough to know the difference.

I'm really sick and tired of abuse and oppression being called "religion". I bet you anything the people behind this get off with a slap on the wrist.

If I was Dictator of the Universe -- well, I can't even put into print what I'd do to those people.

It is NOT religion. It is abuse.

Lara said...

I've noticed some news stations clarifying that the FLDS are not to be confused with the LDS church, but a lot of them AREN'T, and therein lies the problem.

The whole thing makes me cringe.

Anonymous said...

Go girl, you make me proud!

Michelle Miles said...

It's disgusting. I detest people who hide behind the veil of "religion" in order to do atrocities that no one in "normal" society would tolerate.

I haven't heard if they ever found that 16 year old who blew the whistle. She certainly is brave and I really hope she's okay. The last report I heard said they could have found her first and are hiding her so the authorities don't get to her.

Lowa said...

Good heavens, I hope that 16 year old is OK. What a brave young girl, she is a hero.

And I DO know the difference, but I can understand your need to clarify. O am sure many people don't have a clue and are too narrow minded and clueless to think for themselves and have any common sense. Wow. That sounded mean. I am sorry. I just have no patience for people. In general! LOL

I have known people who are Mormons before and it is clear they have ONE wife, are awesome people and treasure their children.

People like this guy are...there are no words.

wfbdoglover said...

I understand your frustration. I have a very dear friend, who sadly moved away. She is Mormon. I had all these preconceived ideas of the religion before I met her.

It was very interesting to have this "fear" - yet like someone that you want to trust them.

Over time, I discovered the difference of the two churches. I have attended a few services and outing and now I defend anyone that says anything about the Mormon faith.

It is shameful that the media does not educate the public properly. I also think that Romney would have made an excellent President. I don't know why "his" religious beliefs were a huge discussion for candidacy - when no one else's was. Well actually I do, because being a Mormon is "different" than the "norm". But what is "normal"? Familiarity. Familiarity is not right. I'm Catholic and look what goes on. I am activity searching for a private school for my son, but they are all Catholic. (I shutter)


Sorry for rambling on your blog.

Good post.