Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Happy Post

Status: I have a teething seven-month old. I'll let you guess. ;-)

I am realizing that my posts are pretty negative as of late. You know, I don't want anyone to think that the life of a stay-home mom is dreary in any way. It actually can have its moments of joy and happiness and warm fuzzies. I guess during the Holidays those moments don't happen as often. And frankly, having four kids can get...well...a bit hairy.

Not to mention the fact that I am NOT the World's Best Morning Person and when do I blog? In the morning. Hmmmm. That explains a lot.

So Thing One didn't have Pinkeye. Thank the Stars. Seriously, I was getting ready for the equivalent of PINKEYE ARMAGEDDON in my house, because even when my kids are sick, they can't seem to stay away from each other, unless I threaten them with their lives and barricade them in their rooms.
Apparently she has a sinus infection and both ears are infected, and it was affecting her eyes. Which made more sense because her eyes were red, but not itchy. And I've had Pinkeye. It itches like a Mother. You want to literally rip out your eyeballs and run them across sandpaper, to stop the itching.

So, she's on the Cadillac of Antibiotics (again--haven't we done this recently?) and she's in school. And she's a cranky toerag, to boot.

So, I guess I started out with the intention of having this be a "happy" post. So I'll give it my best shot:

What do I love about the Holidays? I love how cozy and festive my house is, with all the lights and decorations up. I love Christmas music and candy canes and Pine trees and shiny wrapped presents. I love that 75% of my kids still believe in Santa Claus. And I love the whole "good will" feeling people have towards each other, unless they're at the Mall. Yes, avoid the Mall and anything that has a "super" preceeding it's name (Super WalMart, Super Target, etc) the two weeks before Christmas because, honey, your Christmas Cheer will go right down the toilet.

*ahem* But there are so many good things about the Holidays. I guess we need to focus on those, to keep us sane through the "hairier" times.

Well, off I go to do a zillion things!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it's not Pinkeye. Let's be thankful for small favors, right? Teething 7 month old -- believe me, you have my sympathies.

The holidays are great when you can start stripping the unnecessary stress factors out. This year, I'm running around a lot less, working from home more, did my shopping ahead of time -- the only thing on which I'm behind is the cards.

I'm limiting the amount of events I attend and the other running around, and I'm much more at peace. I feel much more in tune with the spirit of the season.

So many people try to impose "have tos" on you at this time of year, that the word "no" is your best friend.

I avoid malls when it's not the holiday season, so I don't go anywhere near them now!

Lynn Sinclair said...

Thanks for that eyeballs on sandpaper image.

Although I've finished my shopping, I've a feeling I'll be making a trip back to the mall--my daughter (14) has been sick for the past 3 days, and she's not finished her own shopping. I just know I'm going to be elected to drive and help her shop.

Michelle Miles said...

Whew. Glad it's not pink eye.

I made the grave error of going to Super Wal-Mart on Saturday. Holy cow, it was crowded!!

I love decorating the tree with my kiddo. That's my favorite thing about the holidays :)