Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I'm a Wimp

AND a failure. I feel so stupid. I just couldn't do it. Man, I really suck.

*The following is not for the squeamish*

Why the self-abuse? Well, I was scheduled to have an Ultrasound today at 10:30, and the instructions were to drink 24 ounces of water between 9 and 9:30, and NOT PEE before the appointment. Apparently a full bladder helps them see the baby better. Of course, this is my FOURTH pregnancy, and the first time I've received the "drink 24 ounces" rule.
I figure: should be simple, right? Well, maybe challenging, but something I can handle, right?

So, 9:30 rolls around, and I down the aformentioned 24 ounces. Easy. I love to drink water anyway. I get on the computer, and hit my daily sites, and around 10am I start to feel uncomfortable. Okay, yes, I just drank a LOT of water, but to have to go this early?
Finally, at 10:07, I grabbed the keys and got into the car. I really had to go, and I figured that even if I got there early, they could take me in for my ultrasound and my agony wouldn't be prolonged.

I get to the med center at 10:20. I walk very carefully (let's just say I felt every bump in the road during the 10 minute drive) upstairs to the imaging center, and I give them my name, and discreetly mention that I really REALLY have to go to the bathroom. The lady nods and tells me she'll mention that. Was that a glimpse of an evil little smile? I decide it's my imagination.

I sit very uncomfortably, and check my phone. 10:22. Now I really feel like I'm going to explode. I check my phone again. 10:25. Hello! I have to pee! I shift and it becomes worse. I try not to make faces, and check my phone again. 10:27. They're torturing me.

Finally, at 10:30, I get up, and tell the lady I'm sorry, but I HAVE TO GO OR I'M GOING TO HAVE AN ACCIDENT RIGHT THERE IN HER LOBBY. She looks at me like she's disappointed, and tells me to go.
I limp to the ladies room, and I go to the bathroom. Feeling about ten pounds lighter, I wash my hands and step back into the lobby, just as the nurse steps out and calls my name.

I couldn't wait 20 more seconds. I just couldn't.

Ergo, I'm a failure. The tech lamented the fact that my bladder was completely empty. I apologized, and apologized again. Luckily she didn't make a big deal out of it, and we could see the baby just fine. It even woke up halfway through and started kicking like a Russian Folk Dancer. It was hilarious. And I have pictures.

But I'm still a wimp.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I sooo feel your pain. I had to do that for an ultrasound a couple years ago (non-baby related) and as I was driving to the clinic I was in tears. I have never felt so much pain in my life. I actually stopped at a McDonald's and peed a little. It was hard to stop, but I went just enough so that I could breathe without it hurting.

You poor thing!

Michelle Miles said...

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. When did the full bladder thing start??? And of course you could see the baby just fine (I want to see the pictures!!!). So do you know if you're having a boy or girl? I want to hear more about the ultrasound! haha

Lara said...

I'm only 14 weeks so it was a "tad" early to tell the gender.

Dang it.

;-)