Friday, October 27, 2006

I have an OFFICE!!!

The furniture arrived yesterday, (of course at the tail end of the delivery window--ugh) and it was worth the wait.
Of course the room was too small to have the desk with the arm jutting out, so we broke the two parts up, and I have two desks. One for reading and taking notes, and the other for writing. And I have these huge filing cabinets with bookcases on them, and I'm going to go down and put all my research books in them after I write this. I was laughing because all of our personal files filled up only half of one of the filing cabinets, and my writing files will only fill up the other half, so I have TONS of filing space. I am going to be the Filing Queen. Hooray! I need some organization in my life! Besides, if I'm going to write the rest of my life, you can bet I'll need those filing cabinets. Lots of facts to keep straight when you're writing Historical fiction!

I put plants and candles and antique books all around and hung my Monet's "Champ de Coquelicots" print on the wall (the art that inspired my first novel ever). So it's officially mine. I'm very excited!

Of course my "craft room" is a different story. In the unfinished part of our basement, it's very well lit, so it isn't dark and scary, but it's a "jog." You walk into this room, then you turn left and down a hallway that leads into an enormous room, then you turn right and go down a longer hallway, then you turn left again and there's this little room allllllllll the way in the back, and THAT, is going to be my craft room.
I put some area rugs down and I'll have all my tubs and drawers in there, and I'll put posters up on the walls so it will be all cozy. It's not as bad as it sounds. But eventually we'll drywall in there because I don't want spiders dropping on my head. ;-)

Well, I'm off to unpack Thing One's room--she has been a pill about cleaning it and I finally threatened her with taking away a privilege she REALLY doesn't want taken away and she cleaned it. Sheesh. I am NOT going to unpack in an already messy room. No Sir. It's been kind of strange because usually Thing One is neat as a pin. Anal, even. So this has been a departure, for sure.

I hope everyone has a good weekend...I'll be in my new office!

2 comments:

Michelle Miles said...

Congrats on your new office!! It sounds lovely. :) I just know you're going to love having your own writing space (I certtainly do!)

Lara said...

I organized my books chronologically...Tudor, Middle Ages, etc. My history files I just organize by novel. I have a set of files for each novel. But I have a lot of duplicate files (i.e. "Victorian Slang" is found in THREE sets of novel files, so I am thinking of switching to just having a huge History file drawer, alphabetized.

I'm anal, too. ;-)