Thursday, April 20, 2006

Memories


I don't think I ever want to see another shrimp or crab leg EVER again. Ugh.

For our anniversary dinner, Hubby and I chose Pappadeaux. Not very quiet and romantic, I agree, but it was all about nostalgia for us.
When we were newly married and living in Houston, TX, we would always go to the Pappadeaux restaurant off of Westheimer. I hated seafood, and wouldn't eat it at all (unless it was breaded and deep-fried and smothered in tartar sauce) and through our many visits to Pappadeaux, Hubby coaxed me into liking seafood. We took friends there. We had special dinners there. It was our favorite restaurant.

Then after we moved to Wisconsin, we couldn't find a Cajun seafood place anywhere. It was sad. Imagine our joy when we moved to Denver and found that there was a Pappadeaux only a ten minute's drive from where we lived!

So, that was the logical choice. Hubby had Swordfish, I had King Crablegs (it's tradition that I always try something new, so I can branch out) and he showed me how to crack them and dig the stuff out. It was messy, but yummy, and we reminisced about how poor we were when we first got married, and how our jobs were terrible, and our little roach-infested Houston apartment that we thought was so wonderful at first...and then we talked about the moves we've made, and the children, and how we've progressed over the years.

It was a wonderful dinner. Of course, we both ate WAY too much and we both had an upset stomach later on...but it was really wonderful. And I don't think we've laughed that hard in a while. Good old Pappadeaux. Great memories.

Of course now, I don't want to see anything remotely seafood again for a while.

Honey-nut Cheerios. That sounds safe...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, Lara! It seems like only yesterday to me, too.

~Auntie

Lowa said...

I am glad that you had a good time!

Every time I have eaten seafood, I puke. I assertained that I am allergic and avoid it. Only took me three tries! LOL

Cheerios sound good! Honey-Nut Cheerios hurt my teeth for some reason, they seem SO SWEET.

Hope he liked the gift you got him...