Friday, April 28, 2006

It's Friday!

I have had several helpful suggestions in helping me get the mylar balloon off of the ceiling--Hubby suggested last night to whack it over to the stairs with a lightbulb changer. So I'll try that today. I did briefly consider throwing a sharp dart at it, but I had visions of a dart imbedded in the wall forty feet up while the balloon danced happily around it, unharmed. ;-)

Today it's rainy and cold. So much for planting flowers. I couldn't plant in the beginning of the week because of the snow and frost, and now, rain. I give up. Next week it will be, apparently.

I have a lot to do today. Too much, in fact. And on rainy days I don't want to do anything. But we definitely need the water.

United 93 is opening today, and frankly, I am not going to see it. I am of two minds on the movie: One, I think it's gross that moviemakers are cashing in on the tragedies of 9/11--they know that people will come in droves to see what might have happened, or out of some patriotic sense of duty.
Then the other part of me feels that it's a good thing--after five years, the horror of 9/11 has faded somewhat, and this movie will bring the feelings back sharp and to the forefront. We are battling an enemy...terrorism, and we need to remember that no matter what face it wears, it is still horrible and wrong.

I just hate to watch movies where I know the ending is not a happy one. Like Titanic, or Tristan and Isolde. But the power is in the storytelling, and I am drawn to them.

Well Thing One can't find her homework book and Things Two and Three are having a "sword fight" on the catwalk upstairs and freaking me out. I'd better go...have a good weekend!

1 comment:

Lowa said...

Yes, I have no desire to see it either. And I got to almost every movie that comes out! I found it was a strange idea for a movie when I saw the preview. People are odd.

The dart idea was a good one! However, you make a good point with it possibly staying there along with the balloon.

yipes! I know my three boys would LOVE a catwalk, but I can just see them swordfighting and one falling over the edge. Hope everything turned out and you got them sent off to school safe and sound!:)