Thursday, April 06, 2006

*Loooong Sigh*

*Whew* Long post ahead too, so consider yourself forewarned:

What a Whirlwind! Apparently we went to Disneyworld under the impression that we were going to be able to RELAX. Hmm.

NOT.

It was 90 degrees with high humidity the whole time we were there, and I think I slathered enough sunblock on the kids to keep Banana Boat in business through to the millennium. Which of course resulted in them all looking just as white when they returned as when they went. (I'm wondering if putting SPF 80 might have been a bit much? I guess a suit of armor would have been sufficient, but oh well, live and learn.)

I now have about 3,589 new friends, called FRECKLES. Ugh. I look like I got attacked by a mud machine. I don't even look tan. It's just wrong wrong wrong.

So, about the trip: After a four-hour flight (thank HEAVEN for Gameboys!) we arrived at the Boardwalk Inn (reminiscent of circa 1920's Atlantic City, FUN) and got checked in--and the kids were literally boinging off the walls with excitement. We ate at Spoodles (Mediterranean cuisine) and much to our dismay, we found out that when you're on the Disney Dining Plan, you might as well invest in a stomach-stretching machine, because you HAVE TO HAVE an appetizer, entree, dessert and drink (and we're talking Disney-sized portions, which are HUGE) at every single meal, and we had seven people, and the food we accumulated at each meal could have served about 20. I kid you not. It was disgusting. And you feel bad if you don't eat it all, and I really did try, but I just couldn't. Next time we'll opt for Dinner Only or something. Yikes.

So the first day we went to Epcot. Aside from a few perilous moments for Grandpa on Mission Space, it went rather smoothly. And it was fun and interesting. We completely skipped Epcot last time, because our kids were just babies. But this time it was neat. And Test Track was fun too--Thing One's first ever roller-coaster-type ride. She was being an annoying chicken**** at first, but after it was over she was whooping and wanting to go again.

Okay, mini-rant here. Why, WHY do people go to Disneyworld, and wait in line for three hours for a four minute ride? Only to go wait another 90 minutes for a three minute ride? WHY? I mean, what a waste of a day! FASTPASS, people! FASTPASS!!!!!
Hubby and Grandma became experts of the Fastpass. It's where you can stick your pass into a kiosk at the ride of your choice (which usually has a gazillion people in line) and it gives you a window of time that you can return, and NOT wait in line at all. You just breeze right through, and if you do wait, it's for only about two minutes or so.

One of the more brilliant Disney inventions, if you ask me. We got to ride every single ride and attraction in each park, and hang out and actually enjoy the scenery to boot. Granted, we ran everywhere and I felt like I'd run a marathon at the end of each day, but it was worth it. Say it with me, people. FASTPASS. And here's a little-known Disney secret: let's say your fastpass has a return window of 1-2pm, well, you can actually use it ANY time after 1pm, up until the park closes. They don't care. So we fastpassed and went and actually did back-to-back rides at night. It was really fun.

So, first day was Epcot, second day was MGM Studios, Third Day was Animal Kingdom (we got to go on a neat behind-the-scenes tour of the animal facilities that is only available to concierge-level guests, so we felt special) and the last day was Magic Kingdom, and despite sharing the park with about six million other people, can I say it really was magic?

Now that we're back, we're tired and the kids are on "Decompress Mode" but it was fun. The In-laws flew out last night, so I finally have the house to myself. No more "run run run" and I just might be tempted to take a nap today. Ahhhh.

I got invited to a Stampin' Up! Party tonight, and I'm loving it. I haven't been to one in about three years because people in Wisconsin just don't seem to be "into" that sort of thing. So it will be nice to have Hubby watch the kids and get away for an evening.

I AM proud to say that I took 311 photos at Disneyworld. And I fully intend to make a scrapbook for them.

Sometime next year...

2 comments:

Lara said...

Hmmm, I don't really remember seeing anything like that.
Guess they did away with it!

Unknown said...

Epcot is my FAVORITE park ever. I loved the Norwegian water ride! For some reason I was always scared of the Dinosaur Ride-but I'm sad it's gone! I guess Exxon-Mobile got the boot....
Glad you guys had fun!!!