Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Pet-Peeve Day

Harry Potter Book Excerpt of the Day: Dudley had done the thing he was threatening to to do since age three: He had become wider than he was tall...

My Irish/Russian temper came out a little bit yesterday. I have pet peeves like most people, but it might be a tad overkillish when on some days, EVERYTHING is a pet peeve.

Yesterday was one of those days. I got stuck not once, not twice, but THREE times behind "Putters." (comes from the "put-put-put" sound a reallllly slow car makes). Putters are slow drivers.
Now, I am no speed-demon leadfoot myself, I only go 5 miles over the limit (or so I have since my last speeding ticket, I swear!). But SHEESH people! When the speed limit is 35 and you are going 25, WE HAVE A PROBLEM.

I think I inherited my father's ability to get mad somehow at EVERYONE who drives on the road, and I need to watch myself, because my kids now think that every other car on the road besides me is an "Idiot" or a "moron." I don't want to teach my kids bad things like that. But sometimes I can't help myself. Because some people really DO drive like idiots and morons!

Then at the grocery store, I got stuck behind the Lady Who Had A Coupon For Everything (37 items) and of course wrote a check for it all and the check was not in the system and she had to find her ID and by the time it was my turn I was about to kill her AND my kids since they had literally touched every candy bar in the candy stand. (Curse the fellow who thought up putting the candy stand right where little fingers could grab while Mommy was distracted--it certainly wasn't a WOMAN who thought of that!)

The Dry-cleaners, by some fluke, crushed every other button on my hubby's highly expensive dress shirts, and I had to wait while they replaced them all, (while my kids begged for tootsie rolls out of the basket on the counter seventeen times).

THEN I sat next to a mom at Thing Three's T-ball game (okay, these kids are FOUR years old) and she screamed and yelled at her son for assorted things like running in the wrong direction/not catching the ball/catching the ball and then not throwing it to First Base/kicking dirt at the other kids/etc.. by the end of the game I wanted to strangle her with her own hair scrunchie. I kid you not.

So, I was a little testy yesterday. Hopefully today will prove a little lower on the Blood Pressure Scale...but who knows. I am making my kids clean the basement today, and they might all end up in their rooms...especially when I find all the crap they've hidden down there this past week...(petrified fishsticks in the sofa cushions, etc.)

Breathe, Lara. Breathe...

2 comments:

Michelle Miles said...

OOO! I am so with you on the putters and the grocery store thing. I can't stand to be behind anyone who drives SLOOOOW. I try not to call names, but sometimes I just grunt and mutter under my breath, at which point my son says, "Mom, was that a moron?" hahaha

Ann said...

Yeow - I always get behind either the Coupon Lady or the Man Who Fusses About Every Price. (It's a grocery store, daggonit, not a bargaining market!)
I must have done something horrible in a former life.