Tuesday, April 07, 2009

My Kid is a Stubborn Stinker.

You know, I had PLANNED out this morning. I was going to leave at 7:30, run to the cleaners and turn in clothes, run to Target for something I needed, run to Sports Authority and return soccer shoes that were the wrong size, run to Boston Store to get that one thing I needed, and THEN run across town to a church visit at the local McDonald's playplace at 10:30 because that's where this particular church sister likes to meet.

BLEAH. That's too much running around in three hours. So, I've decided to chuck it all and do the running around tomorrow, when I can, and I don't have to be across town. Besides, we're leaving early Friday morning for the airport, and my house is chaos and my luggage is empty. Better get on that. Yeah. So, today, it will just be the playplace. (Gads I hate those places--breeding grounds for GERMS!!!)

I finished my edits late last night! I implemented the feedback and changed the typos, and FINALLY finished. Now it can percolate while we're out of town on Spring Break. When I get back, I can take one more pass at it with fresh eyes, and it's off to the races.

I guess when you write a novel in 30 days, the EDITING part takes a lot longer! ;-) So THANK YOU to all my readers (and my dear friend who struggled through it because it's not her "cup of tea") I am eternally grateful!

I still need to write a synopsis. Ugh.

Okay, my 11-year old (going on seventeen) daughter is a stubborn mule. She doesn't like to do things just because *I* told her to, and frankly, I like to gloat when I'm right, so who can blame her? I'm usually right.

Take soccer practice last night. It was COLD. She got her pants on, and her fleece, and I told her "wear your gloves, your hands will freeze!" She said "Mom, that's dumb. They won't freeze!" And I said "Oh yes they will, wear your gloves!"

Guess who didn't wear her gloves?

She called me at the end of the hour and a half practice, sobbing, because she couldn't feel her hands, and thought she might have frostbite.
I picked her up, and she was a grumpy little toerag because her hands were freezing (and you know how much they hurt when they start to thaw) and frankly, I got really upset with her. Along the vein of "I told you so!"

Kids. Why can't they just listen to us? I lovingly explained that I'd "been around the block" a little more than her, and when I told her to do something, it was for her protection, not so I could merely tell her what to do.

Of course, I am Supreme Mom Commander and they have to do what I tell them anyway, but that's another can of worms... :-)

She wouldn't admit I was right. She just wanted to get home and dive into a bathtub. Little stinker.

Time to run around!

3 comments:

Aimee said...

Ahhhh...just wait until she hits 13and 14 (where I am now with my own Thing One). Trust me--you ain't seen nothin' yet. And I'm a mom who tries to say "yes" as much as possible and who never says "I told you so." No wonder lots of people are afraid of teenagers. They can be a frightening lot.

Michelle Miles said...

Kids never want to admit their parents are right! That's defeat. Mine is just the same. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes, they can be frightening.

Mom