Tuesday, August 09, 2005

My First Ebay Sale...

Movie Quote of the Day: "Exercise produces endorphins; endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands. They just don't!"--Elle Woods, Legally Blonde

I made my first Ebay sale yesterday! I've been a buyer for years, but I've never considered selling anything. But then I realized I have a lot of great stuff that I've bought that I never use, and so I started auctioning it off. Someone used my "Buy It Now" feature yesterday, and it was very exciting. I am a novice at selling but hopefully it won't be so nerve-wracking after a while.

In other news, we have an owl living in the wooded lot next door. A huge brown barn owl. I hear him hooting all the time at night, but last night, he revealed himself to me. It was strange and surreal, like out of a movie.
First off, I've never seen a live owl up close. Last night at 11pm I took my dog outside to do his business, and I heard the distinctive hooting, and looked up at my neighbor's house. There he was, illuminated by the glow of their porch lights, perched on the top of the porch roof and staring right at me.

I looked at him, he looked at me, and Hagan (my dog) froze stiff, and tried to stare him down, which was funny, because he was high above us.

Suddenly, the neighbor's lights went out (perhaps they were going to bed) and as soon as the lights snapped out, the owl flew away into the night. It was a little cool, a little creepy. My daughter and I have been watching one of my favorite movies from when I was a kid: Labyrinth with David Bowie as the Goblin King, and he watches over his muse (Sarah) in the form of an owl. (Dang I love that movie!)
My 6-year old son was VERY excited that we have a real live owl living close, because he is an enthusiastic Harry Potter fan (last summer he planted himself by the fireplace, determined that soon he'd be getting his letter from Hogwarts by Owl Post.) so you can imagine the wheels turning in his imagination.
I just can't shake the feeling that the owl was "watching" me. (Hubby thinks it was watching Hagan, and thinking he was a tasty treat) but I think there's more to Owls than that. Even before Harry Potter, they've always held a lot of intrigue for me. I wonder if I'll see him again any time soon.

Well, must dash, have about 321 things to do today! Cheers!

1 comment:

Michelle Miles said...

OoOO.. I love that movie, too. I had forgotten all about it until now! And of course that means I MUST find it. :D

That owl sounds cool.