Friday, August 12, 2005

An Excess of Drama

Quote of the Day: "If things appear to be going well, you have overlooked something."--Human Law

My husband's family has a lot of drama in their lives. My sister, well, let's just say I affectionately call her the "Drama Queen." My good friend has drama. My middle son has drama. My dog has drama.
You know those people? They always seem to attract calamity at every turn? They aren't having a "normal" day unless they are undergoing some sort of, well...drama in their lives?

Okay. I won't get into it here, because I don't want to cause DRAMA. *grin*

This is the second day of rain--Thing Two's "rain day make-up game" got rained out (drama) and he was not too pleased. My husband filled up his gas tank after work (drama) and I would recommend everyone do the same asap, because apparently by the weekend the prices are supposed to get a steep hike again. (more drama)

I guess what I'm trying to say, is it's so easy to focus on the negative aspects of our lives. For instance, any person on any given day might think things like: "I'm not happy. My Mom is driving me nuts. I hate rejection. I hate my ankles. I hate that I have to work. I hate broccoli. I hate mean people, I hate Fenway Park, I hate doing bills," etc.. It's very easy to do.

Everyone seems so miserable lately. Let me give you a clue: miserable people are no fun to be around.

So what kind of people are fun to be around? People who accept that life holds drama, and "surf the chaos." People who keep their cheer despite all the adversity around them, and prefer not to sink into the craggy depths of soul-sucking despair.
Strong People. Positive People. Non-Jerry Springer Fodder People.

Granted, this is hypothetical--a generalization. Some days I belong to the Negative/Soul-sucking camp (usually when I have a rejection or I've eaten naughty food) or the "Happy-and-over-it-so-watch-out-Camp, which trust me, is a better place to dwell.

Hubby was reading "The 8th Habit" by Covey and he read me a chapter out loud, that basically said that no matter what our circumstances, or our upbringing, WE have the power over our choices. Sure, the easy route would be to blame parents, children, spouses, etc. on why we are the way we are, but there is a tenth of a second between choice making in which we can choose to go a different route, despite all evidence to the contrary. We are on our own. No one makes decisions for us. WE make our own choices. We have all the control.

I guess I'd better remember that next time I stare down a slice of New York Cheesecake...but I digress...

I have a feeling I'm not going to get much done this weekend. Hubby wants to go about five million places (State fair for the kids, shopping for school, the park, Tennis practice, etc) so I guess I'll have to wait until next week to finish up the edits. BLAST. I am so close! But hey, spending time with the fam is fun, so I'll deal.

I hope everyone has a safe, happy and DRAMA FREE weekend!

4 comments:

Michelle Miles said...

Are you talking about ME? (drama) ;)

Lara said...

No, dear, the people I'm talking about don't read this blog.

I think...

;-)

Lara said...

OH MY HECK. AGAIN, HYPOTHETICAL!!!

:-(

Michelle Miles said...

I was just razzing ya girl. ;)